Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Hello, Diegis

Sorry, but I disagree that the Dacian language formed a significant part in the Gothic culture in the period when they crossed the Danube. The Goths, as you and Rumo say, were probably muli-lingual. I certainly can see how and why they would be. If anything, the second language would have been Sarmatian-Alanic, judging from the documented homogeny of the Gothic contingents at this time, aka 350 to 400. But the commands-- shouted in battle-- were no doubt in Gothic. That's my point. When you yell "Charge!", everyone has to know it means "Charge!" And so, as with any other military configuration, the Goths charged when they were given a singular, understandable, command. And I'm reasonably sure it wasn't Dacian. :roll:

And hello, Paullus

On this thread I was positing the idea (which I obviously think correct) that the Gothic hierarchy, in other words-- the military leaders of that culture-- spoke Gothhic. And it only stands to reason they would have given battle-orders in Gothic. Heaven knows how many languages were actually spoken within this ever-changing and migrating society. But there had to be a spoken foundation in which everyone could work/fight from.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by Alanus - 11-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM