Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Hi Drago?,

Quote:Though the other participants to this discussion already brought some relevant examples, there are some important written testimonies that in many large armies from Antiquity there was no common language for all soldiers and the orders had to be translated for troops not speaking the language of the top hierarchy.
The most famous of them all is probably Xenophon's Anabasis. Here we have the Greeks receiving orders from Pigres, one of Cyrus's interpreters. Another episode is the one before the battle of Cunaxa, when Pategyas shouted in Persian and Greek that the enemy is approaching. Therefore I believe my point stands, having bi(poly)lingual commanders is enough and there is clear evidence for that. We have no reason to assume that Gothic armies were entirely formed of Germanic speakers (with some learning it as a second language).
Your examples, unfortunately, are not very relevant. Both are about armies made up from different groups that normally would not work together. Persians and Greeks fighting together are not typical for an army with one Heeressprache. See Paul’s example about Hannibal – what single command language would they all be familiar with?

One of the best examples (and more relevant to this discussion I think) for one single command language is the Roman army. The language in the Roman army was Latin, regardless of the linguistic background of the troops. We know this because of the military treatises written after the fall of the Western Roman empire. These documents originated in the mainly Greek speaking part of the empire, were written in Greek, but especially the commands which we know from the late-6th/early-7th c. Strategicon are clearly in Latin. The Heeressspraache of the Roman army continued to be Latin until the 10th century (Rance, Treadgold).

While I agree with you that a single command language was not necessarily the case for some armies in Antiquity (especially when mercenaries and allies were involved), I think that the Roman example provides proof that professional (standing) armies were more likely to have a command structure with one command language.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by Robert Vermaat - 11-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM