Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Quote:No source calls Saphrax an Alan. For both Jordanes and Ammianus Marcellinus, Alatheus and Safrac/Saphrax are no more and no less but two generals of the Goths.

Perhaps no source calls Safrax an Alan, but he and Alatheus were leaders of the "duel-people." Obviously this was a consolidation of Greutungi and Alans under the "Two Duces." If we place them as commanders of their respective group, Alatheus is heading the Greutungi and Safrax likewise the Alans. This was Wolfram's analysis, and I believe he was correct. Simple deduction places Safrax as an Alan.

Quote: That's exactly the point because that was a reply to "the rulers of those Goths that crossed the Danube (and rulers of previous generations) had Gothic names" which is obviously not true if by Gothic here you mean a Germanic language.

Nothing has changed, and noting did change. The "dynastic" rulers of the Greutungi had Gothic names-- Ermaneric, Vithimiris, and then his son-- which were consistent with their language. Safrax and Alatheus were not "rulers" in this dynasty.

Quote: According to Ammianus the name of the child was Viderichus. However Alatheus and Saphrax are mentioned together, not raising a child, but leading the Goths.

Thanks for correcting me. I had used his father's name (Vithimir/Vidimir) in Gothic. While Viderichus is the Latinate form, I would prefer "Videric," his actual nomen in his native language. Alatheus and Safrax led the Greutungi (not the "Goths") only in the capacity of "Duces," not kings within the ruling family. Their titles-- "the Two Duces"-- indicate their rank, "dukes of battle." This term does not equate with "king" or even "reiks." While neither Ammianus nor Jordanes mentioned that they were raising Videric to his majority, their titles indicate that they were "seconds" under a king. That ward was Videric, a child known as the "boy king." This is consistant with the function and recording of those titles.

So, once again, we end up with a ruling family with consistently Gothic names. Big Grin
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by Alanus - 11-18-2009, 10:52 PM