Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable?
Salut Dragos

Well, what i said about Strabo vs Herodotus is that Strabo mention the name of the dacian "holly mountain", which Herodotus didnt know about it. So, i assume Strabo know something more, possibly even from greeks who worked for dacians, and traveled more in Dacia, not just around Black Sea coast. Strabo probably heared that dacians worshiped the god/daimon Zalmoxis, somewhere on the mountain Kogaionon, but he didnt know from dacians (his sources didnt know, to be more precisely) when they start worship him, or too many details, so Strabo took a part of Herodotus story to complete his onw writing.
And i know about Julian quoting of Traian, and still believe is more probable Julian inspired himself more from Traian, and not from Iamblichus, and, ofcourse, i trust much more Eliade, Culianu and Poghirc, with all the respect for Zoe Petre or Dan Dana.

And Mocsy you mentioned here, write that the dacian offensive against celts maked a deep impression at Rome, and the teritory formerly inhabitaed by celts was called "boian desert". I think you just mis that paragraf when quote him. And i didnt said all celts (Boi, Tauriscii, or Scordiscii) was exterminated, just that they was vanished from some areas. Some of them was indeed killed, but some of them flee to western teritories (Caesar mention some of them in Helvetia if i am not mistake), or some minority who remain in dacian teritories was "dacized".

But since in other posts was discussed alot about getian/dacian and goth conection, i wonder if the spanish (and i think portuguese too) name Diego isnt in fact coming from the dacian name Diegis, and was spread there in Iberian peninsula by goths (well, some dacian part of them)? I read somewhere that in writings of Issidor from Sevilla are mentioned as well other dacian names (Buruista, Dicineo, etc.)
Razvan A.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Getae and Dacians? - by Vincula - 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Re: Getae and Dacians? Are they the same? Or is this unknowable? - by diegis - 12-17-2009, 10:41 AM