Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
a Marius Mule
hey guys!
I got a request to look like one of Marius's mules. now that being said do I have this correct for the kit?

Montifortino Helm or a coolus E?
Lorica Hamata w/ doubler
plain tunic
caligie
single belt (how wide?) or a double belt? (I have both with no apron straps)
Mainz gladius
which pugio (i have a brass beaded and a plain metal one)
taller rounded edged scutum with oval boss
marching pack

ok?
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Just to get the feel of it, you should put a couple of shovels of sand in a sack, and add that to your marching kit. And don't be clean. Dusty feet and mud on the legs might just be the thing, you know?

Just a thought.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'd suggest the following:

Montifortino Helm or a coolus E?--------------- Montefortino (best one of the later types) or jockey cap

Lorica Hamata w/ doubler------------ The classic closure hooks were not found before augustean times to my knowledge, so use a metal or leather bar instead

plain tunic-------------- can't go wrong with a plain tunic

caligae------------------- you have to wear something on your feet. I don't know if we have definite knowledge about military footwear in the period of Marius

single belt (how wide?) or a double belt? (I have both with no apron straps)------------------ I'd suggest a plain leather belt and not with the later 'scroll/volute-buckle'. Better to use a simpler buckle. Or the one from Numantia.

Here's the Numantia buckle as it is sold by Armamentaria:

[Image: repubuckle1.jpg]

Mainz gladius------------------------ a gladius hispaniensis instead of the Mainz

which pugio (i have a brass beaded and a plain metal one)----------- I'd use none of these two for this impression

taller rounded edged scutum with oval boss------- yes

marching pack----- oh yes

Hope this helps.

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
And don't forget to have one or two digging tools in your marching pack, plus a very sturdy basket for dirt hauling. The digging tools list includes (but isn't limited to) Shovel, Pick, Turf Cutter, Mattock, Axe...there are more. But two handled tools would certainly get the message across.

I'm considering weaving a basket or two from wood splints and rope (for the weft) If I can figure out how to get the rope to work, I might use that for the warp, also (but I don't know of those are the right terms for basketry). Rope is stronger, uncrushable, and can be woven tightly enough to keep dirt in for trench excavation. (BTW, I know of the theory that Romans didn't make twisted ropes but braided strands instead, but since they recently found some 3500 year old Egyptian twisted nautical rope from at least two different fibers, I guess we can lay that one to rest. What did their rope machine look like? Don't know.)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.