Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semispathae
Thanks Robert! In fact we have in Finland (especially in Lapland) this age-old big knife called "leuku", which reminds somehow of those old seaxes etc. If you are interested, search from Google pics with a word "leuku", some very nice blades there (I have couple of those too).
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Oh yes, large multi-pupose knives have been around for a long time. The La Tène knives show this as well. Gravefinds stretching the whole Roman period suggest the large knives were never out of use among the Germanic population and continued straight on into the Frankish times. The shape of the Leuku (nice knife!) is a bit atypical, as many of the other types have the point more or less in line with the handle, which would be better for stabbing :-) ).
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Yes, the massive "leuku" was used as a kind of "northern machete" for clearing small branches etc. at the camp site. We also had things called "väkipuukko", which are more suitable for stabbing. "Väkipuukko" means something like "crowd-knife" (puukko=knife), then again "väki" means also strength. Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
The langseax at the bottom of the chart Robert posted is the same kind as the Pouan langseax.

Reconstruction of a combination of the Blucina (Hungary) Seax and the Pouan (France) Seax:

http://www.templ.net/english/weapons-ant...p#135-seax
I made my late roman knife sheath after the leather example from Illerup

[attachment=8752]Illerup.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8753]IllerupKnife.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Thanks Markus! How about the knife itself?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Oh, nice one. But how is attached to the belt, please?? That is the most intreguing part for me! Was this whole scabbard recovered or just the bone part at the tip? Just to avoid re-enacting an interpretation of a detached find.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
The blade is after the Lankhills find

[attachment=8754]LateRomanknife.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8755]Lankhills.jpg[/attachment]

Here is leather knife sheath from Dura

[attachment=8756]Dura-DaggerSheathCX.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8757]Dura-DaggerSheathCX-2.jpg[/attachment]

Looks to have been attached through the two holes at the top. Perhaps a leather strap? attached to some rings on the belt (like later belts have).

[attachment=8758]Illerup-2.jpg[/attachment]
These re-creation examples seem to be attached with a brass ring and leather throng, or a simple loop of leather.

Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
Markus, do you have more info on the Dura-sheath?
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Dura Scabbard

I can't recall where I got the other photo from, but it listed it as a likely dagger/knife scabbard. It is 26cm in length.

I made my dagger have a suspension method similar to the sword (didn't see why it wouldn't be as applicable). But I may change it. There is no evidence it was done that way, so who knows.

[attachment=8760]4thCenturyKnife-complete5.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=8761]IMG_1625.JPG[/attachment]

Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
Thanks Markus! Then again, is this really considered a dagger? To me it looks like an utility knife.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I realize this was a semi-spatha thread to start, and it has sort of turned into the dagger realm. From my research of the 4th century there are really no finds at all of "daggers". All that exists in the archeological records are these large wide knives. These are found in graves all over the Roman Empire during this period.

IMO either everyone decided to become a cook in the late empire or these were mutipurpose knives. Something to cut some food or put 15cm into an enemies

Regarding more info on the Dur sheath. I could not find anything further in my Dura finds by Simon James. This leather chape was also found. Possibly for a Dagger instead of a sword?

[attachment=8773]Duras-Chape-leather.jpg[/attachment]

Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
Quote:Regarding more info on the Dur sheath. I could not find anything further in my Dura finds by Simon James. This leather chape was also found. Possibly for a Dagger instead of a sword?

[attachment=8773]Duras-Chape-leather.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks, I have the book, I must check if I can find this item!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

[attachment=15361 Wrote:Virilis pid='311917' dateline='1390165430']
Quote:I guess it really depends on where you were stationed.

Yes, but I'm afraid a seax / scramasax would not be suitable for an 4-5th c. CE late roman impression, no matter how much I would like to have one as an sidearm. Perhaps a basic large knife, sharpened on one edge
here is the roman knife i just found on my property together with boar hunting spear. So yes you can use this type of knife. Good luck.