Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semispathae
Hate to be a Necroposter, but I found a Semispatha under their "Roman Empire" section (in "swords") on this:

http://replik-online.de/en/index.html

They site the find to mid-3rd century on the Germanic Limes, does anyone know of this?
MMFA: there was a big semispatha-hoard in Künzing.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Just found some pics on Google, that's pretty cool.
Miks shows quite a few blades which could well be semispatha.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yeah, and there are quite a lot, where you can see, that they are not just broken-off spathae, but made exactly in a smaller form. Problem is, they are all mid-3rd century. I keep my hopes up, based on Vegetius Big Grin
Thinking of Archaeology, are there any Roman weapon/armor finds at all from the 5th century? Particularly those from the western Empire.

EDIT: I know there are couple spangenhelm finds from the eastern empire dating to that time.
The Miks book has a lot of blades...
Where can I find the Miks book?
You can order it for about 150-170 euros. Wink
Definitely not ordering a 200 Dollar book. Where can I find it on Google Images?
You can't. It's a 1000 pages long book in german, it is not on the internet.
Well, what I mean is that can I find images of the swords on the internet?
It lists blades by types, and shows you drawings of them. You simply can't google them.
BUMP! Any new views on this semi-spatha question? I would like to have a some kind of 4-5th c. sidearm with my spatha, the seaxes are a bit too late inventions in this context? I know there are some basic knives from 4-5th c. but I want a tool which scares the heck out of the enemies! Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
First Seax found as a sidearm with a Spatha I can think of is Pouan. I think in all likelyhood that in Early 5th century Gaul soldiers may have carried Seaxes as a sidearm.