Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semispathae
Quote:First Seax found as a sidearm with a Spatha I can think of is Pouan. I think in all likelyhood that in Early 5th century Gaul soldiers may have carried Seaxes as a sidearm.

Evan, did you do this on purpose? This is soooo close! :wink:
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Umm... what do you mean? What did I do on purpose? What is soooo close?

In my Article I discuss the heavy recruitment of Left-Bank and Right-Bank Germanics into Aetius' regular field forces (not as foederati). It's likely that, since this practice goes back as far as the 4th century, use of the Seax became widespread in the Western field forces.

I have the Mik's book right now on loan from Rusty and I have seen several Semispathae in it, but they all date to the 3rd century.
Jyrki, you speak from my heart. I can only think of bigger knives for the end of 4th c. Most of the knives have a short blade with only one side sharpened. Though they are rare, in the finds there are bigger, two-bladed knives, which could have been used for close combat purposes. These also rarely go above 150 mm of pure love, but the presence of two sharpened sides and their unusual place in the graves (usually over the hip, parallel to it also, just like a front-hanged seax) point to a different use. Most knives were put next to them, with the blade pointing to the feet.

I'll show you one from Intercisa, mid-end of 4th c. Full length is 180 mm, reconstructed blade length should be about 160-165 mm, with a width of 32 mm. It was found over the hip, like a frontal seax, blade pointing to the right (if you were in the place of the skeleton), the handle was in line with the spine. Perfect position for a belt-hung device.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
MMFA: the shortest 4th c. sword I found is the Beroun-Závodí, it's in the book. But it is way too unusual.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Thanks guys! This is frustrating indeed! Big Grin
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I guess it really depends on where you were stationed.
Quote:I guess it really depends on where you were stationed.

Yes, but I'm afraid a seax / scramasax would not be suitable for an 4-5th c. CE late roman impression, no matter how much I would like to have one as an sidearm. Perhaps a basic large knife, sharpened on one edge?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I'd go with the Intercisa find probably, that two-edge knife Mark mentioned is your best bet.
Quote:I'd go with the Intercisa find probably, that two-edge knife Mark mentioned is your best bet.

Yes, how about a sheath? (besides that decorative one with a bulbous head) And how about this (it is not exactly a seax, a big knife instead)?:
http://www.reenactors-shop.de/product_in...-Saex.html
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Hi all,

On the subject of large knives, most 4th-5th century gravefinds in Germany indicate large single edged knives. There are different kinds of sheath, I have made two with a wooden core and dubble beltloops, but I suppose a scabbard like in the picture could also be used. Not many scabbards have been found, but there is one I have seen which is made of wood. Others would be just leather and brass fittings like the one in the picture. Not a very well finished blade, though ...

Top one is 46 cm long, blade is 29 cm.

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
This is from a German book, I suppose these could be identified as Kurzseax. The broken back seax is a typicaly Anglo-Saxon feature, by the way.

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Thanks Robert, excellent info! Your blades look great too.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Well, if in need, I have a good stock of excellent steel just waiting to become a Breitseax :woot:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:Well, if in need, I have a good stock of excellent steel just waiting to become a Breitseax :woot:

Thanks, I'll keep in mind! In fact the javelin heads you made me were so nice that I didn't want to ruin them when I was practising javelin throwing Wink...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Hahahaha, oh, I will be happy to make you a set of "easy to make" ones, which can also be thrown. The ones you ordered had solid necks and a drawn out flange, but the Romans also had an economy version, which is basicly uses a large triangle of sheet (3 - 4 mm thick) as starting material and has the socket folded from that. Then they just tapped the sides to an edge and sharpened them. Very basic. Still very lethal .....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers