Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aitor Alert! Manuballista found!
Quote:I installed a small gallery of photos of this find on the site: go here.

Link's meanwhile dead and the image base seems to be restricted to tons of helmets and tombstones.

Quote:Of course, all of this is speculation until the find is actually published.

Is it by now? Where is the find and the reconstruction now on display by the way?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Hi Stefan
The correct link is now http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/ ... temid,135/

The original resides in Xanten, though not the reconstruction I think (sorry, seen and photographed it so often at various exhibitions...)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thanks for the pictures. Does anyone have detailed photos of the aperture and especially the channel for the slider? It's hard to tell from the photos, but it appears as if the dovetails on the slider of the reproduction are much more pronounced than on the original. It's beautifully fabricated, I just wish they'd made the rear crescent-shaped piece horizontal like the gastraphetes rather than vertical. So close....
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
May I ask unceremoniously if someone is so kind as to provide a pic or two of the original metal piece and the whole reconstruction for Wikipedia? That way, we can share better, I can even set up a small article of its own.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manuballista 1493541 17 8,529 05-07-2021, 05:46 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus