Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stirrup discussion (vague)
Quote:Who? the indians? Nah... It is their way. Just be careful they don't torch you. Vale.

The Indians did have soft stirrups... but not as soft as Vale's.
Me thinks the Troll is laughing under the bridge. 8)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Or something like that.

I, BTW, am partly Native American. Horses, of course, were not native to North America and only became part of Plains tribe culture after they escaped/were "liberated" from the Spanish conquisitors. Apropos to our discussion, it shows how the introduction of an outside technology (or animal) can revolutionize a culture--as hard stirrups eventually did horseback combat.

But probably not that of sub-Roman Britain.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
I've split this from the original thread. Best continue discussions about stirrups that contains Indians and Templars here.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
It seems like a good idea. The split of the Gallic Empire (Hispania, Gaul and Britain) follow a similar pattern. Valens fought “cataphractarii and clibanarii” at the other end (Persia) as they also split from Rome. The account is that the Sasson cavalry was in heavy armour. Hispania defected from the gallic Empire first, and the account is of sassones coming in contact with the celtiberan ways which was the end to the Gallic Empire.
Drank from the spring flowing today as it did yesterday
Why waist any time with faces of Eris?
The rebirth of Algea happens not in discussions but in rumble… Turning; revolutions.
I inspire myself in the poems of love; loving perfect kisses… incredible kisses
So I leave you with your progeny: Ignavia, Otia and Silentia.
Manuel.
Quote:Excellent input. Unfortunately, your references didn't come through. Cry

Could you retransmit them, please?

" Found in the excavations made by Gratiniano Nieto between 1949 and 1954 in Sector H.

An item worn with personal clothing. In the form of a kidney-shaped buckle with two dolphins united nose to nose in order to receive the forked pin - not preserved. From the back and the head of the dolphins arise two horses’ heads, diverging symmetrically in relation to the former. The figures have embossed decorations. The buckle lacks the pin.

This formed part of a cingulum militiæ (military belt) and such items were part of the funeral gifts during the Late Roman period and are traditionally considered to have military and barbaric connotations. Particularly, the nearest similar items would be the Saxon examples, and this is one of the sole two known examples found on the Continent, outside the British Isles. We are faced with an item which indicates, in this case, the presence of foreign military personnel in Veleia in the Late Roman period."
www.veleia.com/english/index.php
The rebirth of Algea happens not in discussions but in rumble… Turning; revolutions.
Manuel.
Like Vortigern Studies, I'm wondering what's going on here. Sad
Now its dophin buckles. Confusedhock:
What happened to stirrups? I was referring to Indians, as in the people who lived and still live in India, not the Native Americans. They-- the Indian Indians-- used soft stirrups, basically a leather loop. I have a rubbing of a Chinese stone carving which shows stirrups on the famous horse Saluki, about AD 635. But the hard stirrip didn't reach Europe until the Avars arrived. Therefore, the stirrip could not have arrived in Britain until the 8th century.

What about extra-terrestials? Is it possible that the stirrup came outer space?-- and maybe, if we ask Sir Laurence Gardner, he can search the walls of the Egyptian pyraminds and find us a pair. 8)
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

NaNu-NaNu Earthlinks..... :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
--- or Ne-ne, ne-ne, ne-ne... the Toilet Zone. :lol:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Naturally, it is the fall of the west to the Muslims. But many like to believed this: Horses and armor and a way of life came from out-space or an underground seat… so history is just a story you might want to believe. And so we turn now to the runes of indo-arameic origen to express the likely warning of debunking. Picts were the natives among the many others ()…and the Welsh the very good natives that knew how to get along with Priapus and his friends.
Manuel.