Hello

I am working on signatures in roman army that where possibly :
- punched on loricas, helmets, swords
- sewn on leather, linen bags
- painted on scuta from the inner side

This is what I have found :

[Image: inscription.jpg]
[Image: name%20plate.jpg]

This above was based on this part of the helmet http://www.roman-artifacts.com/files/ne ... xample.jpg
Today in Museum in Nurnberg.

[Image: blade.jpg]
[Image: bladename-guttman.jpg]

Sword from Guttman collection.

Do you have any other sources for that ?

What sort of informations can be there ?
I need to collect as much as possible information to make a signature project for members of my group.
Cacaivs Rebivs Asellio
Legio XXI Rapax - http://www.legioxxirapax.com/
a.k.a Cesary Wyszinski
You can find more pictures of some on helmets and umbos in the helmet database on the main site and on [url:3iufid4x]http://www.romancoins.info/[/url]

I know of helmets with different owners.
ALA I BATAVORUM
There are other examples illustrated in Roman Military Equipment by Bishop and Coulston, with discussion.

Feliciter
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
inscriptions on military items can be found here:

"The Roman Inscriptions of Britain - Volume II - Instrumentum Domesticum - Fascicule 3 - Brooches, rings, gems, bracelets, helmets, shields, weapons, iron tools, baldric fittings, votives in gold, silver and bronze, lead pipes, roundels, sheets and other lead objects, stone roundels, pottery and bone roundels, other objects of bone (RIB 2421-2441)" - R.G. Collingwood / R.P. Wright, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1995, ISBN 0-86299-935-9

other inscriptions:

"The Roman Inscriptions of Britain - Volume II - Instrumentum Domesticum - Fascicule 1 - The military diplomata; metal ingots; tesserae; dies; labels; and lead sealings (RIB 2401-2411)" - R.G. Collingwood / R.P. Wright, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1995, ISBN 0-86299-775-5

"The Roman Inscriptions of Britain - Volume II - Instrumentum Domesticum - Fascicule 2 - Weights, gold vessels, silver vessels, bronze vessels, lead vessels, pewter vessels, shale vessels, glass vessels, spoons (RIB 2412-2420)" - R.G. Collingwood / R.P. Wright, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1995, ISBN 0-86299-820-4

"The Roman Inscriptions of Britain - Volume II - Instrumentum Domesticum - Fascicule 3 - Brooches, rings, gems, bracelets, helmets, shields, weapons, iron tools, baldric fittings, votives in gold, silver and bronze, lead pipes, roundels, sheets and other lead objects, stone roundels, pottery and bone roundels, other objects of bone (RIB 2421-2441)" - R.G. Collingwood / R.P. Wright, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1995, ISBN 0-86299-935-9

"The Roman Inscriptions of Britain - Volume II - Instrumentum Domesticum - Fascicule 4 - Wooden barrels, stilus-tablets, objects of wood, leather, oculists´ stamps, wallplaster, mosaics, handmills, stone tablets, stone balls, stone pebbles, small stone votives, miscellaneous objects of stone, jet, clay figurines, clay objects, antefixes, tile-stamps of Legion II Augusta, of Legion VI Victrix, of Legion IX Hispania, of Legion XX Valeria, tile-stamps of the Auxiliaries (RIB 2442-2480)" - R.G. Collingwood / R.P. Wright, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1995, ISBN 0-7509-0086-5

"The Roman Inscriptions of Britain - Volume II - Instrumentum Domesticum - Fascicule 5 - Tile stamps of the Classic Britannica; imperial, procuratorial and civic tile stamps; stamps of private tilers; inscriptions on relief-patterned tiles and graffiti on tiles (RIB 2481-2491)" - R.G. Collingwood / R.P. Wright, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1995, ISBN 0-7509-0319-8

"The Roman Inscriptions of Britain - Volume II - Instrumentum Domesticum - Fascicule 6 - Dipinti and graffiti on Amphorae, dipinti and graffiti on Moretaria, incriptions in white Barbotine, dipinti on coarse pottery, Samian Barbotine or moulded inscriptions (RIB 2492-2500)" - R.G. Collingwood / R.P. Wright, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1995, ISBN 0-7509-0536-0

"The Roman Inscriptions of Britain - Volume II - Instrumentum Domesticum - Fascicule 7 - Graffiti on Samian Ware (Terra Sigillate) (RIB 2501)" - R.G. Collingwood / R.P. Wright, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1995, ISBN 0-7509-07343-6

"The Roman Inscriptions of Britain - Volume II - Instrumentum Domesticum - Fascicule 8 - Graffiti on coarse pottery cut before and after firing; stamp on coarse pottery. Addenda and corrigenda to Fascicules 1-8 (RIB 2502-2505) " - R.G. Collingwood / R.P. Wright, Alan Sutton Publishing, 1995, ISBN 0-7509-0916-1
---------------
All the best,
Frank.
Quote:inscriptions on military items can be found here:

And, most importantly, here:

MacMullen, R. 1960: 'Inscriptions on armor and the supply of arms in the Roman Empire', American Journal of Archaeology 64, 23-40

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there