Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan Shield Recommendation (For Tattoo)
Hello all; I am new to the boards, and I know there are a ton of threads of people asking about shield designs and whatnot, but I am searching for a different reason.

I am looking to get a large tattoo of a Spartan Hoplite shield tattooed on my back (it will be an all black and grey tattoo) and was wondering if someone could give me some suggestions on design possibilities. I don't want to go with the Lamda; for one because it is used quite often, and also because it is my understanding that the Lamda was used during the decline of the Spartan civilization, i.e. post Peloponnessian and Persian Wars.

At the moment I am leaning towards the symbol adorned by the Olympic Champion Bodyguards of the King, however I am not sure of the meaning of the symbol other than it's use by the bodyguards.

Any info or suggestion would be great. Thanks
Do you mean the Dokana? This is associated with the Dioscuri (Castor and Pollux, in their more well known Latinized form). They were the twin sons of Leda and brothers of Helen- one form Zeus, Pollux, and one from her mortal husband, Castor. The dokana may have had an association with the doorway to a tomb or to hades. Its form may be ultimately of Near Eastern derivation.

The Dioscuri were very important to the Spartans and later were popular at Rome. I have read that the notion of twin heros was tied the the "team" of chariot driver and warrior, but the concept of duality is so pervasive in human thought that I don't know if this can be considered the only or ultimate source.

The Lambda on shields surely predates the height of the Spartan empire by the way.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  shield emblems of spartan marines? dimgall 6 2,723 12-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Last Post: dimgall
  300 Spartan from F. Miller Comics Props replika Sword/Shield Christophorus Rubrum 22 5,264 02-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Comerus Gallus
  Book Recommendation: Greek Warfare: Myths and Realities Dan Diffendale 29 6,730 08-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr