Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medium Roman Maching camp
Does anyone have plans for a small-medium Roman Marching camp?
Maybe something like the one at Lafe' ... mix of turf walls with sudis and pallisades.
Also some inside looks at barrack contruction, and officer quaters etc...
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
aka: Phillip Vautour
"Rome is but a wilderness of tigers, and tigers must prey."
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
Hi,

I would not think a marching camp had any sort of inner construction, as you mention sudis and pallisade, and a marching camp was a very temporary thing. We have one in Holland and all it consists of is the raised rampart. I do not believe any internal structures have been found. If the camp was anything more then a one off affair and of a semi-permanent nature to be used over a longer stretch of time, say like over the winter during a longer campaign, you would be looking at something very similar to the early castella, with wooden barracks and possibly daub and wattle walls, depending on the counrtyside it was situated in. What kind of unit size are you looking for? For a century there are several small semi-permanent forts around. (vexillatio forts). Here is a picture of one I did a reconstruction drawing of, still working to get it more accurate, as the turf rampart is way too low.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Indeed I would say a marching camp would be much simple, as it has to be constructed in an afternoon, after the days march. It would not have any structures/buildings. Just a simple rampart with 1 or more ditches. Here is a small reconstruction work we did earlier this year in Xanten/Vetera I

[Image: Schanzen-3.jpg].

The lay-out of the camp would follow the general pattern (so tent groups forming centuries, and bigger tents for the camp officers and of course the central room for the holy banners.

If you want to see some better reconstructions of barrack buildings, officers buildings, I would suggest a google search for pictures of Arbeia Roman Fortress (South Shields, UK).
ALA I BATAVORUM
Or, better still, have a look at what the guys at www.digitale-archaeologie.de have created in the way of digital reconstruction. But as we are talking about a marching camp or possibly a temporary fort, I do think Arbeia, though very nice, is build of stone and so totaly useless.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Arbeia is indeed build out of stone, so unusable for marching camp. But therefore I said, as you want to take a look at BUILDINGS (which are permanent structures I think, this is a good example.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Hi,

I would not think a marching camp had any sort of inner construction, as you mention sudis and pallisade, and a marching camp was a very temporary thing. We have one in Holland and all it consists of is the raised rampart. I do not believe any internal structures have been found. If the camp was anything more then a one off affair and of a semi-permanent nature to be used over a longer stretch of time, say like over the winter during a longer campaign, you would be looking at something very similar to the early castella, with wooden barracks and possibly daub and wattle walls, depending on the counrtyside it was situated in. What kind of unit size are you looking for? For a century there are several small semi-permanent forts around. (vexillatio forts). Here is a picture of one I did a reconstruction drawing of, still working to get it more accurate, as the turf rampart is way too low.

This camp is exactly what I was looking for... not exactly a marching camp, but neither a full fledged fortress.
Do you have any more drawings of this place?
Particularly the gate structure and insides of the wall walkways?
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
That's an interesting drawing, shown below. Should there have been some kind of pass-through so the rear wall could be defended more easily than going around the whole circumference of the buildings? Maybe a break in the back building and perhaps a second gate?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I totally overlooked that!
There would absolutely have to be !!
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
I think the drawing of Robert was not a direct depiction of an known layout but rather one that shows some different aspects of a Roman fort (on a limited area).
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Does anyone have plans for a small-medium Roman Marching camp?
You might be interested in this earlier thread.
Quote:That's an interesting drawing, shown below. Should there have been some kind of pass-through so the rear wall could be defended more easily than going around the whole circumference of the buildings? Maybe a break in the back building and perhaps a second gate?
Robert's drawing is a fortlet -- the type of fortification which the Germans call a Kleinkastelle. It's a permanent work, not a temporary one, and typically has only one gateway, as Robert's sketch shows.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Here are a couple of shots ofthe camp we use at Archaolink which may,or may not, be of interest.

[Image: 569.jpg]

[Image: 568.jpg]
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron. Those pictures look impressive as do those of Jerjen however I have always wanted to raise the point about those stakes ( no pun intended ) that from my days in military we always used to put Three of those together ( angle iron ones welded of course ) which behave very much like a caltrop.
I have not found so many re-enactors who do it that way but I do have to say that the hand grip of those things has always said to me it's not just a hand grip but a position where Three have to be put together.
Infact if one thinks of a Marching Camp mound with them on top like caltrops just how difficult it would be to get thro' in a hurry with shield spear or sword filling both hands. ??

Having said all that the efforts do look good. !!
Brian Stobbs
Quote:... from my days in military we always used to put Three of those together ( angle iron ones welded of course ) which behave very much like a caltrop.
And I thought Kate Gilliver had invented the "giant caltrop" arrangement of palisade stakes. So she has been pre-empted! Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Actually, that was my first criticism of the camp. The reply was it was for health and safety reasons, but I personally feel, that the three on top of the embankment would be less risk to children then the ones at toddler eye height around the outside of the ditch.
I think I may have them leaning my way though. These are from early last year so things perhaps have changed.
I want the three on top, and that would not only be more authentic, but also safer.

I wasn't involved in the camp construction, just for the record, it was done a few years back.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That is very true Duncan they would stop any kind of truck do a nasty job on your radiator for you and also your headlights.
Brian Stobbs