Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the love of god, what are they doing on this vase
Saw this recently in the florence museum of archeology

[Image: IMG_0579-vi.jpg]

are they exchanging socks ?
Chance

Filmmaker, Gentleman and O iraklis then einai pio tromeros apo ta polla stilo eleous
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.silvasuperior.com/">http://www.silvasuperior.com/
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legioxvii.org">http://www.legioxvii.org
It looks like the man on the right is bandaging the arm of the man on the left.
If the guy on the left is buying condoms, he's got the wrong size... (Oh, I'm in trouble now.) All seriousness aside, yeah, what Peroni said!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
He's naked so could be an athlete so he could be having some kind of identifing tag put on or it could be a bandage as peroni thinks .

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
It looks like traction. Most likely forearm fracture.
Drank from the spring flowing today as it did yesterday
Why waist any time with faces of Eris?
The rebirth of Algea happens not in discussions but in rumble… Turning; revolutions.
I inspire myself in the poems of love; loving perfect kisses… incredible kisses
So I leave you with your progeny: Ignavia, Otia and Silentia.
Manuel.
I've seen a picture of a Greek athlete with a ribbon tied around his arm like that. It's in one of the Osprey books, I'll have to see if I can find it.
Pecunia non olet
Oh my God!!!! Confusedhock:

He is....NAKED!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(+18 then, and NSFW :lol: )
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:Oh my God!!!! Confusedhock:

He is....NAKED!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(+18 then, and NSFW :lol: )

Naked?... You are right!!. I did not see it before… Perhaps a wrestler. I recall they wrestle naked and full of oil…
The rebirth of Algea happens not in discussions but in rumble… Turning; revolutions.
Manuel.
I found it. Osprey Elite #7: The Ancient Greeks. On p. 55 is a vase painting of an athlete wearing long, tassel-ended ribbons around his left upper arm and left thigh. He's also holding a leaf crown and wearing a helmetlike headdress with yet a third long ribbon hanging from its tall, rodlike crest. This guy must have swept the field.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:I found it. Osprey Elite #7: The Ancient Greeks. On p. 55 is a vase painting of an athlete wearing long, tassel-ended ribbons around his left upper arm and left thigh. He's also holding a leaf crown and wearing a helmetlike headdress with yet a third long ribbon hanging from its tall, rodlike crest. This guy must have swept the field.

The old man could have been Cornwell/Homer.
Manuel.
things like this always make me laugh. and at the same time i wonder what people will say about us in the future when they are digging through our ruins.
[Image: funny_sign.jpg]
Quote:things like this always make me laugh. and at the same time i wonder what people will say about us in the future when they are digging through our ruins.
[Image: funny_sign.jpg]

Not wanting to be misunderstood, I would make myself clear that when I named Cornwell or Homer I’m referring to their fictions as to archers.
Quoting from archeologist Theresa Mitsopoulou, It seems that Scythians ( from the word archer) had a similar ritual that goes back to the dragon’s symbolism and culture.
Manuel.
Could be a tube bandage filled with a medicinal poltice? It looks as if the ends are tied.? Just a thought.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It may seem, as others point out elusively, a relationship erestes/eromenoi. :mrgreen: Although, the style of the vase is more Olympic, and in most vases the erestes is depicted bearded and older. In Attica eromenoi were assiduously courted and object of street fights and loud arguments. This custom seems to have endured with the “Oxford way” (source Wikipedia); Princeton is also mentioned. Is not unusual to think of others like Harvard, Yale and the like. :roll:
It is possible that Sarmatians brought the custom to the Isles (Oxford); and is also possible that “prima nocti” is also Sarmatian as it was practiced in Babylonian temples; I may add that the name Cynthia :wink: might be related to Temple use.
Manuel.