Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critique this page
As you know, I'm always trying to find better ways to convince people to subscribe to Ancient Warfare. One of the most obvious ways to do so, is to make the subscription process dead easy. On the site we use a shopping cart system, which works well if you want to buy various items, back issues, prints, etc, but for a trial sub, that's perhaps not necessary.
So I made this page. I'd like your opinion: would that work for you? Would you need more information? Do you need more 'Secured by X' logos? Feedback would be much appreciated (and of course, if you're tempted, give it a go! The page does work 8) )
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
It was so easy, I had to subscribe. I'm now awaiting my 1st issue.

For me the page was too tempting to resist, but thats just me...
Renius/Greg German
Legio VI FFC
I'm sure you'll like it. It's a wonderful mag!

Anyway, to answer the original topic, I think it's a good page and better as having to go though the shop for such a trial. Only comment I would have is to make the payment details/options more visible (indeed a 'secured' button or sign). Anyway, I think this is really superior to the 'old' way of getting a trial submission.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Really nice landing page. The graphics are great and it presents as a very professional publication. The form is clearly set out and looks easy to use.
Just 2 points I'd look at, maybe a different strap line, 'Take it for a spin' is a phrase I'd just associate with buying a car.
Do you have a sentance for why people would subscribe to the magazine anyway? Something such as 'Ancient warfare Magazine, step back into the time of heroes' (just an example, not one I'd use!) and then below this 'Trial Subsrciption Offer' That way you're always reminding people of why they should get copies.

Also 'Submission subject to approval.' The way it's worded does make it seem as if the subscribers have to wait and see if you'll accept their money.

Hope this helps
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Nice page, Jasper. Except that the "Submit form" button doesn't look like a button (in my browser, at least).

Also: is there a way to find out when an existing subscription will expire? (For scatterbrained people like me, who subscribed so long ago that they've forgotten! :oops: )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
The submit button returns a messed up page if the fields havent been filled in ,the only reason I even clicked it was to find if it was a real button, perhaps make it more obvious or change form when hovered over.

In a related site matter, I may have renewed my subscription a couple of weeks ago but I'm not sure if it worked as there was no feedback of confirmation that it happenned. I went through the form and submitted it and it seemd to indicate everything was OK, but I was never asked for any other details or if my existing details were correct or have changed or indeed whether my method of payment was correct or did I want to change it.
The teutoburg supplement was ordered at the same time and I've no idea if I actually managed to get that either,I guess I'll just have to wait a few weeks/months to find out. If it shows up in the meantime then everything works and you really need to give better confirmation feedback, if it doesnt then you need to....give better confirmation of failure to resubscribe rather than keep us guessing.
I wont do it again until I find out whether it worked first time as I dont need two subscriptions.
Thanks for the hints and tips guys! I'll mess a bit more with buttons and layout.
Duncan: the label on your subscription copy will say "Expiry Vol X Issue Y". You'll also be reminded by email about three or four times and once via a letter.
Dave: our system always sends a confirmation message when a subscription is renewed. If you didn't get it, either payment was incomplete (in which case you'll have received a message about that), or the message ended up in a spam folder. In other words: we do try, but it's hard to control the arrival of email once it's off our server. I can look into your order for you, but you do not seem to have registered at AW.com with this same email address?

*New and improved version now online!*
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Thanks Jasper, I've used reply to my renewal email to ask if you can check the records, it is the same as the one registered to this site.
I'll get there in the end I hope. Smile
Done!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RAT page - blank page problem Tarbicus 31 4,247 04-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Last Post: FAVENTIANVS