Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet identification opinions needed
EDIT: Although this coin is Roman, the helmet may be Greek. That's why I'm posting it in Greek Military History.

[Image: ATG_Helmet.jpg]

This bronze Roman Provincial Macedonia coin was minted during the time of Severus Alexander. 222-235 AD. The obverse shows a helmeted Alexander the Great. The reverse shows Alexander the Great placing a harness on Bucephalas.

More information here.

There's many issues of these Roman Provincial Macedonian coins showing Alexander the Great. They have, more or less, the features associated with him, the eyes, the angled head, etc.

So it seems that the person(s) who engraved the dies to make these coins was working from a statue or painting. Whether that was an original statue or painting, or a Roman copy of an original, no one can say.

But I was wondering if they also copied the helmet from the statue or did they put Alexander into a Roman style helmet of the day?

So my questions are -

Do the features of this helmet suggest a style that was contemporary to Alexander?

Or does it look like Alexander was put into a Roman helmet of c.222-235 AD?

Or is it not possible to tell from this picture?

Thanks for any help.
Rodger Olinger

There is rest and healing in the contemplation of antiquities. - Mark Twain
It strongly reminds me of an Attic helmet, which was used both in ancient Greece and in Rome, with varying level of differences. From what I can recollect, it strongly reminds me of an officer helmet worn by the Praetorian guard, even though it lacks the cheekguards.

But I am sure we will find out soon enough, there are many very knowledgeable people lurking these forii.
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
Attic helmets were very frequent in Greek art,but seem to have een very less frequent in reality,since very few exmples have been found in Greece. The name "attic" comes only because Athena is very frequently shown in vases and sculptures with such helmets. Often without cheek quards,but even when cheek guards are shown,they are lifted up. The reason? More of the face is shown like this,and indeed one can identify Alecander just by his face even in roman coins!
Indeed the helmet was used also by the romans and shown worn by praetorians although no such helmet has been found. Similar stylized helmets are a bit more frequent in Italian Greeks and greek-influenced people.
I don't belive the artist was actually copying a statue,not even for the face,less so for the helmet. The features of Alexander's face are so well known that even i,with no great drawing skills,can reproduce them in a level that one would say that what i'm drawing must be Alexander.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Thanks for the enlightening reply, Giannis. You have actually corrected and clarified my opinion on Attic helmets. I supposed they were used very often, as they are depicted on a vast number of paintings. I didnt know there were so few Attic helmet actually found, as i did not research this topic to such a degree. Thanks again.
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile
I can't imagine why they would continually show a similar fantasy helmet, so often.
Surely these must have exisited, perhaps in smaller numbers?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet Identification Adventurous Artisan 10 3,169 01-10-2020, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Greek helmet identification Ptolemy Euergetes 3 2,652 09-15-2015, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Helmet identification geala 11 3,773 01-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos