Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No flies on me
David we do get the black and yellow types over here apart from a huge 2.5 inch long woodwasp that got into my workshop one day, but like I said with a glass and a piece of paper one can catch them against a window put the glass over it slip under the paper then let it go outside.

Where you mention MPs' with the expences scandle we have going at the moment it's time Mike did put out a warrant or two I think.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Where you mention MPs' with the expences scandle
We're in no better shape here, but we ought to let that topic drop, I think, lest we both get in trouble.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Right you Two!! Off to the Limes with you!!! :twisted: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
In tank school at Fort Knox we used to use an aerosol can of deodorant and a lighter to deal with the ever-present flies. Used like a flame thrower, one quick blast will turn them into pedestrians. They are much less annoying that way.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Yikes! Don't let PETA find out!
BTW, WD-40 works, too, and any kind of spray paint or hair spray.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hairspray will work on most insects, coating them in a non transpirable laquer coat. Asphyxiating them (they breath through their "skin"). And it´s handy on most houses, being much less dangerous (and poisonous) than insecticide. Just be aware that you´ll laquer not only the fly, but where is it standing too.

Well, if you think that death by asphyxiation is not enough punishment for those "devil inside" (beelzebub! :lol: ) giant flies, a drop of turpentine will also do the work.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Well, actually, if you spray hairspray or WD-40 with a lit flame between you and the insect, they don't have time to asphyxiate before they incinerate. Merciful. More fun, too, to watch them drop right down in flames.... :twisted:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:In tank school at Fort Knox we used to use an aerosol can of deodorant and a lighter to deal with the ever-present flies. Used like a flame thrower, one quick blast will turn them into pedestrians. They are much less annoying that way.

Waaayyyy off topic, but when were you at the Knox armor school?
So, the fly has settled on something. Take your rolled up magazine and grip tightly with your right hand (left if you're left handed), and grip the other end between your other hand's thumb and forefinger. Approach slowly while pulling on the magazine with your right hand, tensed to strike. Once you think you've got a good lineup pull even more at both ends on the publication of choice, and you're good to go: WHALLOP!!

Pulling on either end stabilises the mag and gives the strike a spring action at the outset, rather than there being a fly-detectable acceleration :wink: Works most times for me.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I find tea-towels as swatters work well. My labrador is quite good at eating flies, too. The spiders are home are useless little oiks - they just hang around in a corner completely failing to deal with the flies. I like the sword method - I managed to bring one down mid-air, once (lucky strike - not for the fly).

I did rescue a wasp, once - but purely for the sake of the 150 year-old hand woven Indian carpet it was dozing on (plus, squashing a wasp when it's asleep seems unsporting).
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens
A fly eating Labrador huh? I guess that is no stranger than a bee eating German Shepherd I had once. He would try and bite their heads off. Not sure why just bees, but I never asked him to find out.... Smile