Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Mail
I agree Matt. Armour of some type seems reasonable to me but I think the detail is by no means conclusive and I wouldn't feel that ring mail is out of the question, but I prefer the interpretation of these figures with scale. I haven't tried tucking a coif in - cunning Big Grin but again that leaves us without any evidence which resembles a curtain over the shoulders I suppose.
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Quote:
FAVENTIANVS:w1d41utw Wrote:the hoods look separated from the bodies but without shoulder covering, just the neck line... ?

Which is the effect that you get when you tuck your coif under your mailshirt instead of leaving it out.
BINGO!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:
FAVENTIANVS:ko7rbqya Wrote:the hoods look separated from the bodies but without shoulder covering, just the neck line... ?

Which is the effect that you get when you tuck your coif under your mailshirt instead of leaving it out.

You limit the ability to turn your head.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:
Medicus matt:362xwt78 Wrote:
FAVENTIANVS:362xwt78 Wrote:the hoods look separated from the bodies but without shoulder covering, just the neck line... ?

You limit the ability to turn your head.

Oh I don't know. They don't exactly look like they're fitted tight to the head. Plenty of slack. However, that's all supposition sooooo....

I gave it a go last night. Coif on first, then mail shirt....yes, that was pretty restrictive at first but, once I'd turned my head around so that the bottom and neck of the coif freed up a bit, it was fine.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Length of late roman mail Sisyphus 1 920 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross