Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Army Shield Dimensions
What are the general dimensions for late roman army shields? I am thinking specifically of flat, rounded shields circa the late 4th century (Western Empire). Thanks. Marcellus Valerius Gothicus.
Marcellus Valerius Gothicus (aka Dave Dietrich)
If I recall correctly we don't have concrete proof, but one can draw evidence from a number of sources:
~ Art images are varied. Stillicho's diptych shows his at about half his height, Piazza Armerina figures have some that are knee to throat.
~ Circular Nydam planked shields of 0.8-0.9m are similar in various ways to the oval planked C3rd Dura shields L 1.07-1.18m X 0.92-0.97 W, 8-12mm thick.

Are you building?
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Thanks, Salvianus, for your timely and thorough reply. I plan to make my shield plus some of the clothing and accessories, like perhaps the plumbatae. I plan to purchase the boss, Spangenhelm, body armor, and weaponry. I like the Der el' Mehinah model the best, regarding the Spangenhelm. Of course, I am open on sugglestions. I am new to re-enactment. By the way, I looked at the photos you have on line, the re-enactors in York, I believe. The photos are very impressive and informative. Marcellus Valerius Gothicus.
Marcellus Valerius Gothicus (aka Dave Dietrich)
Hoping this works, this is Salvianus logging in from a computer in York Hospital!

You sound very organised, good luck with putting everything together. One of the common problems with a planked shield reconstruction is the total built weight can climb to the point where it's exhausting to wield (if you aren't a blacksmith like my contubernale Ingar) unless you thin out the edges

feliciter

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
I take it the ywere not using the layered strip method of construction any more?
You can pick up a good copy of the Der el' Mehinah from Peronis Armamentaria.
It's one of my favourite late helmets...nice and robust!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:One of the common problems with a planked shield reconstruction is the total built weight can climb to the point where it's exhausting to wield

Can do, depends what you build it from though.
The 'fentic ones that I've made from lime and poplar are lighter than ones of the same dimensions made from birch or marine ply.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:I take it the ywere not using the layered strip method of construction any more?

Now that I wouldn't say. There were certainly some old school plywood sub-rectangular shields at Dura as well as the more numerous planked oval ones. As you can see from
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8150&p=68098&hilit=shield+planked#p68098">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8150&p=68098&hilit=shield+planked#p68098<!-- l
even the planked ones may have been bonded with additional fibres overlayed, but I don't have the James to find more. I think you can see from the diptych of Stillicho that at least some oval shields were rounded in at least the horizontal plane. If you haven't seen it,
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6227&p=52069&hilit=shield+planked#p52069">viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6227&p=52069&hilit=shield+planked#p52069<!-- l
might be of interest.

I have two flat oval plywood scuta myself.

Fectio's flat oval plywood construction guide is:

http://www.fectio.org.uk/articles/makescutum.htm

Hope thats useful

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Quote:Can do, depends what you build it from though.
The 'fentic ones that I've made from lime and poplar are lighter than ones of the same dimensions made from birch or marine ply.

Good point - 'wood' is such a varied set of materials!

Gaius Julius: Just reading from Bishop @ Coulston the Dura planks were poplar and the plywood was plane, most Nydam planks were alder but some were lime, aspen, spruce and, surprising to me, oak!

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Necro'ing this thread - don't hit me.
I just want to see if this album link works for everyone else : I made a shield for a scottish customer and he's given me permission to post it.
Don't ask me exactly how I made it but most things are free info. Planks, some wieghts, some boiling water, some sunshine, some glue, leather, linen thread, a smithy, iron bars, etc.
http://img175.imageshack.us/g/shieldrom ... sidew.jpg/
Michael Ulfric Douglas <-- Call me Ulfric, its my name.
Nice scutum Ulfric. Weight? Measurements?
Too bad it's only curved in one direction.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:...Too bad it's only curved in one direction.
How very dare you! :|
well, yes ... but ... it was made to be dished.
The planks lost a lot of curvature in the glueing times but its still slightly curved longitudinally, enough to be pleasing. I'm going to make the next ones LESS horizontally curved to emphasise the slight dishing.
Michael Ulfric Douglas <-- Call me Ulfric, its my name.
Weight? Measurements?

Real name?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
One thing I didn't get from your photos, Ulfric, is what angle did you adjust your planks' edges to get the original curve? Looks like it could be about 5 degrees. Is that close?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Shield construction Nic 3 1,222 02-22-2020, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Nic
  Late Roman army Re-enactment Titus 2 1,695 02-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Making a domed Late Roman shield M. Demetrius 33 12,657 10-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Caballo