Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marathon 490BC (Great Battles of the World)
A while back I mentioned a newish book called - Thermopylae 480BC (Great Battles of the World - Ancient Times) 7001 - by Dimitris Belezos & Ioannis Kotoulas (illustrated by C. Giannopoulos, R. Fronimidis & M. Ginala). I have recently acquired its sister volume:

Marathon 490BC (Great Battles of the World - Ancient Times) 7002 - also by Dimitris Belezos & Ioannis Kotoulas with Nikos Giannopoulos & Kyriakos Grigoropoulos (illustrated by C. Giannopoulos & R. Fronimidis) which follows a very similar format.

Both books are translations from the Greek originals (Periscopio Publications) and produced by these very credible guys who largely appear to be Greek academics with involvement in the University of Athens and the Greek Ministry of Culture. They are similar to the Osprey series but cast a different light on things. I can't be certain of their qualifications but one would expect them to have some considerable expertise in their chosen fields. The Marathon book is every bit as interesting as its Thermopylae predecessor and sumptuously illustrated, although questions again might be raised as to the conclusions the artists arrive at in their reconstructions.

Has anybody else bought these books or anything else by Periscopio? I know we actually have forum members from Greece and I would be interested to know their opinions as well.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
I did find Greek versions of Osprey titles in Athens, but no, I have not seen these books.
Where did you find them, and where can I get them? Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
hello check www.periscopio.gr
DIMITRIOS
Quote:I did find Greek versions of Osprey titles in Athens, but no, I have not seen these books.
Where did you find them, and where can I get them? Smile

Sorry I'm a bit late responding GJC. I got these books (I think) via Caliver Books:

http://www.caliverbooks.com/catviewer.p ... &subcode=C

Get in touch with them. I got them in the UK - didn't have to order them from Greece (and of course they are in English).

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
It looks like they have added a title concerning Salamis. I will look out for this:

http://www.periscopio.gr/site/bookDetail...ID=305&cID=

What do you guys think of this? It is apparently an extract from a pottery shard which formed part of the decoration at the Poikile Stoa in the Athenian Agora:

[Image: Marathon01.jpg]

21a is supposed to be Plataian troops. Forget the typical naked depictions. They are, however, sporting Boiotian shields of some description. Are these entirely fanciful? This image is from the Marathon 490BC book this thread is devoted to and also includes supporting annotation:

[Image: Marathon02.jpg]

I have only included part of the whole image because it spills over two sides.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thermopylae 480BC (Great Battles of the World) Ghostmojo 18 7,392 01-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostmojo