Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
greek panoply
Hi

I have a question. I'm thinking about building myself a greek panoply. Can someone tell me what he thinks about the following:

[Image: 114PSSW118.jpg] SW118 - Épée de hoplite grec - 99€ - Détails

Au cours du VIIIe siècle avant notre ère apparaît la phalange, et avec elle un nouveau type de guerrier : l'hoplite. Il porte une arme courte (72 cm), avec une poignée métallique en bronze. Le fourreau superbement décoré d'une bouterolle en forme de tête de lion, se porte suspendu à un baudrier, grâce à un système d'anneaux.

Cette reproduction est directement inspirée d'un artefact trouvé à Campovalano.

Lame en fer, poignée en laiton massif, fourreau en bois recouver de cuir, chape et bouterolle en laiton. 75cm.

SW101 - Falcata - 90€ - Détails [Image: 114PSSW101.jpg]

Cette arme que l'on prête traditionnellement aux peuples ibères (espagnols) était également en usage chez les Grecs depuis une haute Antiquité sous le nom de " kopis ", et fut introduite en Italie et utilisée par bon nombre de peuples, dont les Etrusques et les Romains.

Elle ne possède qu'un tranchant mais peut s'utiliser de taille comme d'estoc. Les poignées (ici en laiton et os) représentent généralement une tête d'animal.

Longueur 64cm .

SW102 - Falcata avec fourreau et poignard - 99€ - Détails

Ce modèle, proche du précédent, est caractérisé par une garde en forme de tête de cheval. Un fil de laiton torsadé ferme la garde. Il est livré avec un fourreau, qui protège également un couteau au manche de corne.

Longueur 64cm, couteau de 24cm. Fourreau en bois recouvert de cuir, bracelets, bouterolle et chape en laiton. Poignées en laiton et os.

[Image: 114PSSW102.jpg]

SP160 - Pointe et talon de lance en bronze - 120€ - Détail

Réalisés en bronze, avec une couleur rosée caractéristiques, ces deux pièces correspondent à des modèles en usage durant toute la période grecque classique. Cet alliage était en effet d'un emploi plus aisé que le fer, les pièces pouvant être réalisées par fonderie, tout en garantissant une bonne résistance et dureté.

La pointe est longue de 35cm. Le talon reproduit un original visible au British Museum (longueur 32cm). Le diamètre intérieur des douilles est 2.2cm.

[Image: 115PSSP160.jpg]

source: [url:x9rjtze2]http://www.armae.com[/url]
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
Go to their main site and press the English flag.

I think Armae is a good option if you're in Europe. Manning Imperial has superior quality but its much more expansive as well with a sword costing you a few hundred euros.
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
i did not see it first time... :oops:

ok, here is english translation. Tongue

SP160 - Bronze spearhead and spear butt - 120€ - Pictures

Made of bronze, and not brass, these are replica of greek pieces. Head 35cm long. the butt may be seen in the british museum (32cm). Inner diameter of the items : 2.2cm.

[Image: 115PSSP160.jpg]

SW118 - Hoplite sword - 99€ - Pictures [Image: 114PSSW118.jpg]

Made after an artefact found in Campovalano, this sword was called Xyphoi by the greeks. 75cm long. Hilt made of solid brass. Wooden scabbard covered in leather, with brass parts.

SW101 - Falcata - 90€ - Pictures [Image: 114PSSW101.jpg]

this weapeon was also used by iberians, and was called as a kopis by the greeks.

The hilt is made of brass and bone. Length 64cm.

SW102 - Falcata with scabbard - 99€ - Pictures [Image: 114PSSW102.jpg]

A small knife is also sold.

Length 64cm, 24cm for the knife.Wooden scabbard covered in leather, with brass parts.
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
Hello and good start.
The butt spike is of a nice shape,close to originals. However,it is solid. I just recently descovered that the ancient butt spikes were hollow all the way down the spike. This reduces the height very much. Manning Imperial are making accurate butt spikes and they started making them hollow,like the originals. I don't think that thisparticular item will be expensive by them.
However,even though some few bronze spear heads have been found from the archaic-classical era, they don't look like the one from armae. So avoid it and better look for an iron small spear head. Armae are selling one,but it's way too big and heavy. Avoid it.
The hoplite leaf shaped sword is of a generally acceptable shape. This is mainly due to the fact that there are no better products availabe in that price. If you would bother to cut and reshape the blade it would be much better. It has a brass hilt,which is not accurate,or at least i have yet to se a solid bronze hilted sword from ancient Greece. Many re-enactors use it though.
The falcata with scabard is not Greek. It is of a similar type to the grek kopis,but is from iberia,and it would be wrong to use it as greek,as it has some distinctive non-greek elements.
The other kopis is closer to the greek style. There are some variations of this same product. The better one is the one with solid brass hilt (i pe.know,it still isn't accurate) but it has a better shape. Also used by many re-enactors,so they can report its quality. As far as far as i know,it's a bit too heavy,as the blade is too thick,but i don't think in such prices you can find something better. It all depends on how much you want to spend.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
tnx!

it doesn't matter if it's more expensive (ok, it will take a little longer to collect than but...) the most important thing is that it's accurate...
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
If you are interested in my kopis intrepretation, I can arrange another one to be made for you. Even slightly better, as our knowledge has grown a bit since the first one was made.

You can have a look at this thread. The price may be higher or lower, depends on what you really want on it.
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27009">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27009<!-- l
Juraj "Lýsandros" Skupy
Dierarchos
-----------------------
In the old times, people were much closer to each other. The firing range of their weapons simply wasnt long enough Smile