Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scandinavian Iron Age
No worries. This one, with articles in English and German, is still on my wish list and may also be of interest to you:

Aktuelle Forschungen zu Kriegsbeuteopfern und Fürstengräbern im Barbaricum
Contents: Vorwort. Claus von Carnap-Bornheim und Jorgen Ilkjaer. „Jernalderen i Nordeuropa und „Zwischen Thorsberg und Bornstein – Archäologische Forschung im internationalen Netzwerk. Kriegsbeuteopfer: Funde, Befunde, Interpretationen. Die Funde aus Illerup Adal - Der Stand der Forschung im Jahr 2006. Nina Lau. Zügelkettenzaumzeuge der jüngeren und späten Römischen Kaiserzeit - Neue Untersuchungen zu Typen, Verbreitung, Herkunft und Datierung. Ruth Blankenfeldt. Das gebogene Blech aus dem Thorsberger Moor. Suzana Matesic. Militaria im Thorsberger Moorfund - Zeugnisse römisch-germanischer Kontakte. Thomas Fischer. Bemerkungen zum so genannten Gesichtshelm aus Thorsberg. Per Ole Schovsbo. Der Moorfund von Tranbxr - Forschungen zu den Wagen aus der älteren Eisenzeit in Dänemark. Xenia Pauli Jensen. Vimose revisited - Perspectives and preliminary Results. Andreas Rau. Zwischen Südjütland und Nordgallien - Ausrüstungen elitärer Krieger der frühen Völkerwanderungszeit aus dem Nydam mose. Rasmus Birch Iversen. Fourth and Fifth Century War Booty from Kragehul. Anne Norgärd Jorgensen. The Porskjasr Weapon Sacrifice - Introduction and preliminary Results. Kriegsbeuteopfer: Analysen von Materialarten. Susan Möller-Wiering. Die Textilien aus Illerup Adal - erste Ergebnisse. Julia Graf. Die Lederfunde aus dem Thorsberger Moor. Florian Westphal. Holzartefakte aus kaiserzeitlichen Opfermooren - Neues zu den Altfunden aus Thorsberg und Nydam. Fürstengräber der Römischen Kaiserzeit. Hans-Ulrich Voß. Zwischen Vannius-Reich und Vimose - Die elitären Krieger von Hagenow. Angelika Abegg-Wigg. Zu den Grabinventaren aus den „Fürstengräbern von Neudorf-Bornstein. Matthias Becker. Der Fürst von Gommern. Keltische, römische und germanische Schlachtfelder und Opferpraktiken. Jon C. N. Coulston. Immortalising Victory: Votive Weapon Depositions in northern Europe. and the Roman Empire. Jean-Louis Brunaux. Das Tropaion und Denkmal von Ribemont-sur-Ancre - Von der keltischen Schlacht bis in die Kaiserzeit. Susanne Wilbers-Rost. Kalkriese - Überlieferungsbedingungen für Militärausrüstung. auf einem römisch-germanischen Schlachtfeld. Achim Rost. Plünderungsprozesse auf Schlachtfeldern - Neue Aspekte auch für Kriegsbeuteopfer? Ulla Lund Hansen. Zusammenfassende Anmerkungen zum Internationalen Kolloquium. „Aktuelle Forschungen zu Kriegsbeuteopfern und Fürstengräbern im Barbaricum Teilnehmerverzeichnis.
I eventually found what I was looking for in "Iron-age Societies: From Tribe to State in Northern Europe, 500 B.C.to A.D.700" by Lotte Hedeager.

Slightly misleading title as it is primarily concerned with Scandinavia rather than Norhtern Europe as a whole. A very good study of the period and, for an academic text book, refreshingly inexpensive.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:I eventually found what I was looking for in "Iron-age Societies: From Tribe to State in Northern Europe, 500 B.C.to A.D.700" by Lotte Hedeager.

Slightly misleading title as it is primarily concerned with Scandinavia rather than Norhtern Europe as a whole. A very good study of the period and, for an academic text book, refreshingly inexpensive.

Matt, may I ask if it contains any info about Finland in this context?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:I eventually found what I was looking for in "Iron-age Societies: From Tribe to State in Northern Europe, 500 B.C.to A.D.700" by Lotte Hedeager.

You'll find there are some useful published papers on the web such as People, Material Culture and Environment in the North, http://herkules.oulu.fi/isbn9514281411/ ... 281411.pdf

419 pages broken down into the following topics:

Archaeology, ethnicity and identity
Culture and society
Houses, settlements and landscapes
Physical anthropology
Historical archaeology

This particular publication is oriented towards the Saami populations but includes some interesting articles on ethnicity and identity, 'The invisible identities: cultural identity and archaeology' and there are some papers on other parts of Scandinavia, 'Bejsebakken: a Bell Beaker site in northern Jutland'. The references for each paper, 38 in all, provides more information, some of which may be online.

best
authun
Harry Amphlett
Ulf Näsman is a leading researcher. You can see a list of relevant publications here, http://www2.hik.se/applikationer/forskn ... sonid=4757

He states that he is writing a book with Fabech entitled "Between Svear and Danes. Societal changes in South Scandinavia ca 200-700 A.D." which sounds as if it is up your street. I don't know if it has been published yet, though it was to have been completed 2006. There is a summary of the objectives here: http://www2.hik.se/applikationer/forskn ... jectid=423

You'll also find his papers in things like the the ASSAH Vol 10 'The ethnogenesis of the Danes and the making of a Danish kingdom' along with other researchers such as Morten Axboe, 'Towards the kingdom of Denmark'.

DNA studies of interest are:

Karlsson, (2006) Y-chromosome Diversity in Sweden - A Long-time Perspective
Lappalainen, (2006)Regional differences among the Finns: A Y-chromosomal perspective
Lappalainen, (2008), Population Structure in Contemporary Sweden—A Y-Chromosomal and Mitochondrial DNA Analysis
Dupuy (2005), Geographical heterogeneity of Y-chromosomal lineages in Norway.

The two major yDNA groups in Scandinavia are R1b and I1 with Norway also having a substantial R1a component.

R1b is divided into many sub groups but assigning anything meaningful to them has so far proven elusive. Other than saying that some sub groups seem to be associated with certain areas, there is no consensus as to when or who. The I1 group is subdivided into fewer but more informative sub groups. In particular M253 is much more associated with Scandinavia, the Danish Isles and Jutland and M223 with northern Germany, although there is a considerable overlap. M253 itself is split into various subgroups, potentially providing more information in the future. Wiki has a useful summary of I1, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_I1_%28Y-DNA%29

best
authun
Harry Amphlett
I can very helpully tell you that there is stuff but I have forgotten it..as usual.
But...Try an old book called "Denmark before the Vikings" by Ole Klindt Jensen (Thames and Hudson)
Also NORWAY by Anders Hagen..same publisher.

There is some interesting emergent academic stuff coming out and I cant recall the exact details. Type in Google things like Massagetae, Migration, Norwegians, Heyerdahl. You ll get references to Norwegian and Azerberji (Ithink) universities doing JV stuff on proving the Norwegians came from Massagetae.

If that fails..e mail me and i ll research some bits if i can
Roderic Wout..

Today\'s truths are often tomorrow\'s lies
Quote:
Medicus matt:16057jp2 Wrote:I eventually found what I was looking for in "Iron-age Societies: From Tribe to State in Northern Europe, 500 B.C.to A.D.700" by Lotte Hedeager.

Matt, may I ask if it contains any info about Finland in this context?

'Friad not. Very good on Denmark and Sweden (which is nice as that's what I was primarily interested in) not so good on Norway and there's nothing on Finland at all.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Hey,
Just thought I'd pop by and mention that if you need anything from Sweden or specific passages etc translated that's not a problem seeing that I am swedish and tend to go back every now and then..

Cheers,
Jesper
Cheers,
Jesper
Quote:Hey,
Just thought I'd pop by and mention that if you need anything from Sweden or specific passages etc translated that's not a problem seeing that I am swedish and tend to go back every now and then..

Cheers,
Jesper

Very kind of you Jesper.
If you can find a way of taking photos in the Gold Room next time you're in Stockholm, that'd be great. :wink:
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Quote:Can anyone recommend a book (in English) that covers early Northern germanic/Scandinavian history up to the Migration period please?

I've looked myself but other than a couple of general western european historys and some prelim stuff I've got in works covering later Scandinavian history, I've drawn a bit of a blank. There's some interesting stuff in 'Spoils of Victory' but I want more.

Thanks

Military aspects of the aristocracy in Barbaricum in the Roman and early migration periods.

Military aspects of scandinavian society in a european perspective AD 1-1300.

The ship as symbol in prehistoric and medieval Scandinavia

Drik - og du vil leve skønt - a collection of papers, some in english on the subject.

Gold, power and belief - Danish gold treasures from prehistory and the middle ages.

Fuglen, dyret og mennesket i nordisk jernalderkunst - pictures
http://www.borgen.dk/product.asp?product=547

MENNESKER, GUDER OG MASKER - pictures
http://www.borgen.dk/product.asp?product=653

Warfare and society in the barbarian west

The barbarians speak - not much on scamdinavia but a lot from comparable societies.
Soren Larsen aka Nithijo/Wagnijo