Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creation of Legio II Traiana
I have seen the date of creation of II Traiana given as AD 101 and AD 105. Can anyone tell me the first mention of the legion and if there is any real evidence for such an early creation. Does the career of Numisius Sabinus indicate rather a later date and, in the same insccription, a later date (post AD 92) for the loss of XXI Rapax?<br>
<br>
Is the current dating in fact due to a circular argument base on Numisius Sabinus also being military tribune in XXI Rapax and a belief that it was lost in AD 92. To accommodate his career on the assumption of the loss of Rapax in AD 92, II Traiana must have been created early in the centry. How do we know that Rapax was lost in AD 92? Surely the existence of these two legions in one inscription must move together and is there therefore any other evidence for an early date for II Traiana?<br>
<br>
Any help would be appreciated.<br>
<br>
Daniel. <p></p><i></i>
Dear Daniel,<br>
<br>
If you go to www.romanhideout.com then click on Romans below the headings "Roman Reenactment Groups" you will open up a list of groups with web pages. Go to the 2 legions that you seek information.<br>
<br>
If that does not please you. Go to GOOGLE or similar webs searchers and write out the legions you are looking for. It is true that information may vary from one source to another, but it is a great way to find information.<br>
<br>
<p>Lucius Cornelius Traianus<br>
<br>
Legatus Augusti Pro Praetore</p><i></i>
Stephen John McMahon
Thanks for the information. I have visited the sites you indicated and found lots of interesting information.<br>
<br>
However, even looking at these, II Traiana was formed in AD 99 of 105. No information is given on how these dates are arrived at. This particular date is vital in relation to the creation of XXX Ulpia also, as well as the loss of XXI Rapax.<br>
<br>
Thanks for your help.<br>
<br>
Daniel. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Equites promoti indigenae: creation of a late roman frontier TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 1 2,260 01-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat