Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartacus in a south Italian blizzard
Quote: So Spartacus marched back again from the sea and established his army in the peninsula of Rhegium… He therefore waited for a snowy night and a wintry storm, when he filled up a small portion of the ditch with earth and timber and the boughs of trees, and so threw a third part of his force across.
Plutarch, Crassus, 10.5-6

This passage about Spartacus has always been of interest to me. How often are there blizzards in the southern extremities of Italy? How likely is this?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
It needn't mean a true blizzard, just enough snow to mask his men's activities and keep the Romans huddling in their tents or around their watchfires.
Pecunia non olet
Okay, so perhaps it isn't as strange as I thought. Thanks!
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
It's no indication of how things were way back then, but when I lived near Pozzuoli in the sixties, we saw only one day that was really cold, and no snow. I would imagine it would not be very common for there to be snow even further south. Copious snow would make movement of troops harder to track, but once the snow stopped, every footstep would be easy to follow.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Talk with anyone that fought in battle of Cassino. Ask if there are snow blizzards in southern Italy. Southern Italy is not all rolling hills and beaches. There are plenty of small and rugged mountains and not only does it get f**king cold but the winters can kill!
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Just this february...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)