Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ANCIENT PERIOD MOVIE REVIEWS
Quote:That ought to be a hoot. Make sure you take along a camera person (in civilian garb) to film the reaction. Where will you put the PILA and Scuta? They won't fit under the seats!Smile

We thought about that, actually. Honestly, we'll probably just leave the weapons and shields at home - Kinda disapointing really, but I just don't feel like having to explain to local law-enforcement why we're carrying spears and swords when some busybody decides to call the police.

-Quintus Cladius Britanicus,
Legionnaire, LEGIIAVG
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.
At least take them to the parking lot for some photos before you lock em in the truck!
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Why not make wooden swords or plastic(They use them in the movies too) ;-? :? :p
just kidding
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Perhaps you could contact the local cinema owner ahead of time and get his permission (and notification to the proper authorities) for you to appear at the opening . . . in exchange, perhaps, for free passes?
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Quote:Finally saw Agora.
Liked it a lot. I know, it is not historically accurate and feeds into the Hypatia = martyr for reason legend, but from a dramatic point of view, I found it gripping. The sets are very cool, the acting is good to very good, the characters are nuanced (especially Davus the Slave, Orestes etc.).
It's refreshing to see a movie that emphasizes the power of reason, intellect and all that and doesn't expect its audience to be completely dumb.
Of course, there were only 5 other people in the theater when I watched it. "Jackass 3" is No. 1 in the U.S. right now. Signs of the times?

I can't share the enthusiasm for Agora. It was pretty to look at (especially since it has Rachel Weisz in it), but I found it preachy, a bit pompous and didactic. And Amenábar distorts history to make his points and reinforces several hoary old myths. There was no library in the Serapeum, Hypatia was not an atheist and she was not killed because of her learning.

Dr Serafina Cuomo of the University of London, author of Ancient Mathematics and historian of early science and learning, has written a condemnation of the distortions of history in Alejandro Amenábar's movie about Hypatia of Alexandria, Agora. I've reproduced her comments on my blog: Hypatia and "Agora" Redux, Again. My post also has links to my two previous articles on Agora, the myths it peddles and the real historical evidence.
* * * * * R O M E ( seasons 1 & 2 )

The story centers upon two main characters... that of Centurio Lucius Vorenus & Legionary Titus Pullo. The first season starts at the rise of Julius Caesar and ends at his assassination in the Senate. The second season starts with Mark Antony avenging Caesar's murderers and ends with his demise in Egypt with Cleopatra, with the Roman world proclaiming the first emperor, Octavian ( Caesar Augustus). So, during this spread of 12 or so years, Vorenus and Pullo somehow manage to get involved with the power struggle that Rome was in those times... and somehow always came out on top of things. Vorenus ascended from Primus Pilus, to Praefect Evocati, to Magistrate... and to Senator of Rome (by Caesar). Pullo... well, he just went along for that long ride. The other characters portrayed, to mention Caesar, Pompey, Antony, Brutus, Cassius, Cicero and others were casted well... and played their roles extremely well in this series (what a bunch of egomaniacs and divas!!)
**** The weapons and tactics utilized in this series were pretty good as was the armor and kit of that time ( coolus helmets/chain mail ). They did like sticking deserving individuals with their Gladius and pugios. With cool quotes like "Things are going to get wet quick... I'll bet I kill more than you do!!"
*** In a Historical sense, some was correct... some was utter BS, but it all went well with the storyline so that's ok by me.
All in all... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and entertaining between the personalities, warfighting, political infighting and power struggles, and the social class acts portrayed in this miniseries. Big Grin
How does the recent movie "The Eagle" shape up? It seemed to me that the movie was combining two events - the disappearance of the Ninth Legion and the loss of Varus' legions in Gaul. I never heard of the Seal People before either.
I went to see "The Eagle" last week...I did enjoy it but I had to turn my "history brain" off lol As with most of these films just watch them for entertainment and not historical accuracy!
I also finally saw it last night with my son.

We both enjoyed it, although he said he preferred Centurion (which we saw perhaps a year ago on DVD).

I've never read the original book, so I won't comment upon how faithful it is, and I'm no expert upon Roman armament or tactics of this period - but my favourite bit was the Testudo advance from the force out to meet the Brigantes and the skirmish that ensued.

Later in the film it seems to lose some of its plot somehow. Esca's unquestionable loyalty is a little hard to understand - especially betraying his Pictish hosts - and then his stand with the remnant of the 9th.

Another annoying facet was the fact all the Romans seemed to have (admittedly soft) American accents! Perhaps this was deliberate? However, understanding that some of the cast were Yanks it perhaps becomes understandable - but Mark Strong is not. He is a fine English character actor seen most recently in the Robin Hood remake. Donald Sutherland is always a joy to watch (easily one of my favourite actors) but is as wasted here as he was with the bit part he had in The Pillars Of The Earth recently.

But, when all is said and done - it is still good to see films about ancient history and especially Roman Britain; and in this films case it was very nicely and atmospherically filmed.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
I would like to coment positive aspects of the last productions that had been released about de ancient world.

- Rome TV series the first time we see on screen roman legionaries in lorica hamata (chain mail). Some helmets are similar to a montefortino/coolus. And finally the octavian legionaries clad in lorica segmentata.
- The Last Legion, long sleeve tunics, long trousers and the armour of the legionaries at the beginning of the movie. The scuta and the furca maybe out of context, but it look pretty good.
- Clash of Titans, a wonderful corinthian helmets. Approppiate hairstyle.
- Centurion, the legionaries look great, like no other movie: lorica segmentata, galic helmets, gladii,scuta, centurions in chain mail with their falerae harness and transverse crest. Wonderful!
- The Eagle, a great helmet for centurio Marcus Aquila, good pila (first time we see the launch of one), good legionary helmets (coolus?)
- Spartacus TV series, good legionaries of s. I A.D.(pity that we are in I B.C.! ;-) )

I think that is all.

Greetings
Helen of Troy (1956)

Enjoyed the historically correct but later period shields and the siege warfare depictions.
I also liked the bundles of javelins in the chariot warfare scenes.

A few views here:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1567098137/
The Passion of the Christ (2004)

They spent $30 million on production costs and an estimated $15 million on marketing
but couldn't afford 15K for proper Legionary Pila correct period helmets shoes etc and used crappy leather segs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passion_of_the_Christ
A few views of the gear here: (caution most violent movie ever made)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbukZAcxk...re=related
Suetonius -

I picked the DVD up a couple of weeks ago on sale.

The Seal People are totally made up according to the director. He needed a tribe at the end of the island and went with what he thought they'd be like.

Accurate, probably not as has been pointed out, but it does a good job of invocking the time period; life in a camp in hostile terroritory, being charged by chariots, the type of guards on Hardian's Wall (couldn't have been the most enjoyable of postings).

We've only watched the Directors cut so I don't know how different it is from what was shown in theaters (which is on the disk too).

If nothing else seeing the alternate ending was worth the whole DVD cost! 'As they walk off into the sunset'..... :roll:
Ira Gossett
CENTURION

+ Deepeeka Plain Pugios

+ - Correct looking but dingy segs and scuta

+ - Gallic helmets but all the same type

> One plastic spear awarded for Spears instead of Pila

==== Four bracers awarded for lots of bracers including furry ones

- No ditches or turf walls for forts or marching camps

- Pitiful attempted fort burning and leaving behind wagon, supplies and weapons and leaving a paper note posted in a burning fort

+ Decent Gladii
+ Some use of Hamata and Squamata
- Attempted murder of 9th survivor to cover up disaster. Like no friends relatives
or anyone would miss that many legionaries or anyone would ask "Where's the 9th stationed now days?"

- Killing a child (Is that a requirement for a Roman era movie now?)
Quote:Another annoying facet was the fact all the Romans seemed to have (admittedly soft) American accents! Perhaps this was deliberate? However, understanding that some of the cast were Yanks it perhaps becomes understandable - but Mark Strong is not.

Ben Hur (1959) was also American versus English but the other way round. The Romans were English and, if memory serves me right, everyone else (apart from Balthasar) were American actors.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most realistic movie depictions of ancient warfare Calvo 14 18,738 07-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Kegluneq
  Subforum for movie reviews in off topic? jkaler48 3 7,164 10-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  Section in the recreational area for Roman era movie reviews jkaler48 4 7,628 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius