ANCIENT PERIOD MOVIE REVIEWS
Quote:CENTURION

+ Deepeeka Plain Pugios

+ - Correct looking but dingy segs and scuta

+ - Gallic helmets but all the same type

> One plastic spear awarded for Spears instead of Pila

==== Four bracers awarded for lots of bracers including furry ones

- No ditches or turf walls for forts or marching camps

- Pitiful attempted fort burning and leaving behind wagon, supplies and weapons and leaving a paper note posted in a burning fort

+ Decent Gladii
+ Some use of Hamata and Squamata
- Attempted murder of 9th survivor to cover up disaster. Like no friends relatives
or anyone would miss that many legionaries or anyone would ask "Where's the 9th stationed now days?"

- Killing a child (Is that a requirement for a Roman era movie now?)

The Helmets were Plastic!
Gaius Julius promethius Miccinius - Legionary XIIII (RMRS)

Gaius Julius Promethius Miccinius - Centurion VIIII (Beyond the northern frontier)

"The Eyes see everything" - "Even what the brain is thinking"
Steve Eckersley
I don't know if this movie has been reviewed yet, but just in case it hasn't...

Pharaoh - a Polish movie from the sixties set in Ancient Egypt, about the struggle between the young paraoh and the priests.

I don't know if the depicting of Egyptian life is accurate, but at least for me, it seems so. It looks real (and it was released in 1966!).
Eduardo Vázquez
I also enjoyed Pharao when I saw it years ago. By the same director who did the 2001 Polish version of "Quo Vadis", if I remember correctly.
Aka
Christoph
Yeah, it's from the same director. I haven't seen Qou Vadis, i haven't found it subtitled in youtube, but it doesn't look as good as Paraoh.

Just a comment: here, in Spain, there is a movie in production about the conquer of the northwest of the peninsula by Decimo Junio Bruto in the second century BC. The movie is being titled "Galaicus". They have promised more accuracy "than in Gladiator" (what does it mean?!). We'll see.
Eduardo Vázquez
I actually liked the rabbit pelt bracers in Centurion because
as I saw it they were padding to wear under the manicas (which i enjoyed).
When i was young i used rabbit furs as barbarian greaves and they were surprisingly warming and reasonable padding so this is why it resonated that soldiers in the sticks may use pelts in this fashion- not AS fashion Smile
Reviewing the trailer:

Immortals 2011 Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

The fiberglass and bejeweled bow exploding arrows horned helmet etc just make this
movie what it is.
The real period equipment would be so much cooler looking than this made up fantasy junk.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Quote:Just a comment: here, in Spain, there is a movie in production about the conquer of the northwest of the peninsula by Decimo Junio Bruto in the second century BC. The movie is being titled "Galaicus". They have promised more accuracy "than in Gladiator" (what does it mean?!). We'll see.

It appears this film has a Face Book page, but unfortunately I do not read Spanish (I'm barely functional in English.)

Perhaps someone more linguistically talented will be able to glean some useful information from this page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galaicus-a...88?sk=info

:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
There isn't information about the movie in the facebook page. They just post news about archaeology in Galicia (NW of Spain). The only thing known about the movie is the actor who plays the main role (Decimo Junio Bruto), Luis Tosar (an excellent actor), who is also producer. They are still looking for money. And it's also "suspected" that some "reenactment" groups are involved as history consultant and extras (and they are really bad, they can't even been called reenactment groups).
Eduardo Vázquez
I dont know if anyone has had the misfortune of seeing this and reviewing it yet. However...

I saw "Year One" on cable. Please. AVOID THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS. I just saw the last 15 minutes and wept when I was not throwing up. This criminal act calling it's self a movie will leave all of you furious with rage.

In other words it was not good. It was horrible. This is absolutly the worst thing I have ever seen.

Other than that the commercials were OK.

Ralph
So, Ralph, are you saying you didn't like it?
Umm...

Well John, after giving some thought it. There are a few people on RAT who I secretly wish would be forced to watch it. However, having bad thoughts is not good for your karma.

(I now go to meditate on this until the third enlightenenment.)

Ralph
I just saw Ironclad this week on DVD and it wasn't bad. It was about King John and what he did after he was forced to sign the magna carta. It had quite a few good actors in it.
Its a strange movie.

Very good and known actors: James Purefoy, Brian Cox, Derek Jacobi, Paul Giamatti and Charles Dance...
At times the lines is allmost Shakespeare.
Very nice costumes and gear.
A very specific episode in history..
So much effort have gone into making it look like 1200..

But then they have pagan Danes(vikings) 200 years after Denmark became christian.
And in many ways is like a B-movie with lots of blood.

But I like it...
Thomas Aagaard
King John was a bit of a git really. Like Charles I, he couldn't be trusted. Having said that, I struggle to think of any of our kings who were actually much kop. I mean look at the monsters like Henry VIII. British history, of the more accurate recorded version, actually relies upon Queens as better role models. Going much further back you are looking at Alfred as perhaps the most venerated and worthy male monarch from these shores...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Makes for great novel and movie material though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most realistic movie depictions of ancient warfare Calvo 14 18,837 07-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Kegluneq
  Subforum for movie reviews in off topic? jkaler48 3 7,194 10-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  Section in the recreational area for Roman era movie reviews jkaler48 4 7,724 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius