Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ANCIENT PERIOD MOVIE REVIEWS
Ok... having watched the first 5 episodes of Spartacus Blood and sand, i can testify to its utter inaccuracy! but some elements of it are quite accurate... they get the names of things right at least! "Domina", "Pater Familia", (my latin spelling is rubbish this early in the morning!), "Ludus" etc. Its reasonally entertaining!, athough i'm not QUITE sure where they're going with the series, i do like how the series starts with spartacus and his men being "auxillaries", although dressing more like spartans.... but i did always love the theory of him being a roman auxillary, so thats how he knew the tactics and strategies of the legions!

Also i think the Gladiators equipment is close, some obvious "hollywoodized" flaws, also love the idea of 'the pit', kind of an underground gladiator combats, can TOTALLY see that happening!
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]
Quote:Indeed you are correct John, Criterion is releasing a 3-Disc Shaw set that also includes his Caesar And Cleopatra starring Claude Rains as Gaius Julius.

And Major Barbara starrring Dame Wendy Hiller.

That's my grandmother-in law that is. 8)
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Interesting article about it from the Time, with some positive comments from academics:
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 052515.ece

Shortly to be shown on Bravo in the UK, and online. I'll be watching, even it's only for Lucy Lawless/Xena unrobed 8)
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Saw the new Clash of the Titans. I didn't have any expectations after the bad reviews etc., but I was still underwhelmed. Main character is miscast, IMO. Weird choices (the "djinns" or whatever they were supposed to be???). Some nice interior sets, but that's pretty much it.
Aka
Christoph
Quote:Saw the new Clash of the Titans. I didn't have any expectations after the bad reviews etc., but I was still underwhelmed. Main character is miscast, IMO. Weird choices (the "djinns" or whatever they were supposed to be???). Some nice interior sets, but that's pretty much it.

I think it's worse than the original Harryhausen..That was pretty dire but at least it made sense and had internal consistancy, which is more than can be said for the new one. I'm still not sure why Perseus even bothered to rescue Andromeda. He'd only met her the once and was more interested in the other one...the dead one.

And why did those two chaps (the ones who in a better edited film would probably have turned into the comedy duo/light relief) suddently appear in the middle of the city on the back of a giant scorpion (which nobody seemed to notice) and why....etc

It was bobbins, it really was.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Completely agree, Matt.
Aka
Christoph
Just saw the last episode of Spartacus Blood and sand and must say the series grew to my liking episode after episode... okay its historically very inaccurate, but the plot twists are thorough.

Sad to hear the second series had to be postponed because the lead actor was diagnosed with lymphatic non hodgkin bloodcancer, and is treated for it at this very moment. Knowing what cancer can do, i wish him a full recovery.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Just saw the last episode of Spartacus Blood and sand and must say the series grew to my liking episode after episode... okay its historically very inaccurate, but the plot twists are thorough.
Of course I don't know where the writers want to go, but so far it's crap. Way too much sex, way too much blood in slow motion. Not enough plot (what IS Spartacus DOING for pete's sake!).
When does he finally break out and start his revolt. Will they ever film it or will it just be an afterthought when they can finally no longer prolong his gladiator career?
About the REAL Spartacus, do we even know for how long he fought in the arena?
So far this series is not about Spartacus at all, it's in fact a remake of Gladiator with the Gladiator part spun out endlessly. Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote: Way too much sex, way too much blood in slow motion. Not enough plot (what IS Spartacus DOING for pete's sake!).
When does he finally break out and start his revolt. Will they ever film it or will it just be an afterthought when they can finally no longer prolong his gladiator career?
About the REAL Spartacus, do we even know for how long he fought in the arena?
So far this series is not about Spartacus at all, it's in fact a remake of Gladiator with the Gladiator part spun out endlessly. Cry

Great sex !

Love the fakeness of the blood, a lot more hilarious to watch than "The Pacific" which is far more realisticl, if gory, but that is war...

What Spartacus is doing? well half of the series he is not even awake.... LOL

He breaks out in the last episode.... in a river flood of blood.

The real spartacus before he started his revolt we do not know much, if anything about. The only known things were written in the ancient story which many of us have read.

This series is LOOSELY based on the Spartacus saga, the makers have attested to this multiple times in the media. they do not claim to be historically correct, they do claim however to have made a mix of 300, Rome and Gladiator.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Way too much sex, way too much blood

Nope...not sure what you're saying there.
You're not a natural re-enactor are you Robert? :wink:
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Quote:Vortigern Studies wrote:
Way too much sex, way too much blood

Nope...not sure what you're saying there.
You're not a natural re-enactor are you Robert?

He is pretending to be a late Roman Christian Matt, so he is pretending to be offended by all the depravity!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:He is pretending to be a late Roman Christian Matt, so he is pretending to be offended by all the depravity!

Graham.

Ahhh...he's VERY good isn't he?
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Quote:He breaks out in the last episode.... in a river flood of blood.
At some point I could have sworn they just put a red lens on the camera..

Quote:
Graham Sumner:2q5vk9cq Wrote:He is pretending to be a late Roman Christian Matt, so he is pretending to be offended by all the depravity!
Ahhh...he's VERY good isn't he?
Hey! It does not come natural - I have to work for that effect! Big Grin

Besides, it just like that Mel Gibson one about Jesus - i never realised that human beings had so much blood inside their bodies...
And the sex.. well, if it had been anything good, you would not have heard a peep from me. Just a few skinny females, that's all. As if the real upper class Roman ladies would behave like that!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I was under the impression that upper class Roman women, especially certain Emperors' wives, were quite depraved. :roll:
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Just saw the old Spartacus again... the best scene will forever remain seeing two legions march up the plains..... for real.

No CGI... nothing of the sort.

"Of the 167 days it took Stanley Kubrick to shoot this film, six weeks were spent directing an elaborate battle sequence in which 8,500 extras re-created the clash between the Roman troops and Spartacus' slave army. Several scenes in the battle drew the ire of the Legion of Decency and were therefore cut. These include shots of men being dismembered (dwarfs with false torsos and an actor with only one arm [Bill Raisch, the "One-Armed Man" of "The Fugitive" (1963) fame] with a phony breakaway limb as a Roman soldier who has his arm cut off in battle were used to give authenticity)."

also, the helmet choice for the legionaries wasnt all that bad.. we have seen worse, much worse later on...

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most realistic movie depictions of ancient warfare Calvo 14 18,738 07-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Kegluneq
  Subforum for movie reviews in off topic? jkaler48 3 7,162 10-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  Section in the recreational area for Roman era movie reviews jkaler48 4 7,622 01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius