Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan Mora regiments at Battle of Plataea
Quote:Paralus wrote:
Quote:The discontent with Sparta amongst allies such as Thebes and Corinth is marked.
...."Allies" ?????? Surely the use of that word requires some elaboration/qualification ! Say rather 'bitter and jealous rivals', who sided with Sparta temporarily for self-serving reasons, such as 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. There is a clear differentiation between 'allies' such as the Perioikoi, and makeshift/temporary expediency between the larger Poleis in 'alliance', with all sides cynically knowing the score.

I agree: qualification of the term is warranted.

Corinth, I believe, spent the better part of the "classical" period as an ally of Sparta: a key member of the Peloponnesian League. Thebes had just spent over thirty years as an ally of Sparta: she certainly did not fight on behalf of Athens from 431 onwards. The Perioikoi might well be described as "allies" by Agesilaos and, possibly, his admirer Xenophon. It is rather plain they'd about as much choice in the matter as did the Melians in refusing Athens' advances in 416 or Mitylene in rescinding its "alliance" in 428.

I too like The Who.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Messages In This Thread
Re: Spartan Mora regiments at Battle of Plataea - by Paralus - 11-12-2009, 11:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plataea 2021 List of Research Topics Sean Manning 13 3,225 01-20-2022, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  The Strength and Organization of the Persian Army at Plataea Sean Manning 16 7,074 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Battle of Plataea hoplite07 14 3,816 08-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio