Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next to being gladiator
Greetings, next to my gladiator outfit i'd like to put up my normal clothing for life apart from the ludus. I try to recreate the life of a free man who has chosen the path of gladiatorial combat for money and glory.
Now apart from my gladiatorial kit how would I be dressed in normal life when not being at the ludus. A tunica for sure but what other garments and ornates would be allowed for me?
Because loads of the sources I come across ofthen say the opposite of each other. Many thanks
Polemarch of the Spartiates: Aegiadae

Hardwig
http://spartiates.agogeads.be
As you have chosen to go for a gladiator career you´ve choosen to give away your ´free born´ status (at least for the time your contract is signed for). So a normal tunic will do. Get yourself some simple civilian shoes and a simple cloak. If you decide you are from a ´barbarian´ origin, you could also cloth you to that specific dress fashions. I mean, it more depends on who you portray (area, origin, etc). But don´t go to glamorous in choosing expensive and wealthy jewelry, etc.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Concerning tunica, footwear and jewelery you should also keep in mind that fashions did change during the centuries.
So you should have an idea which century you want to portrait, as this is also influenced by the fighting equipment you use.
Especially gladiator helmets changed over time.
The usual equipment reconstructed after the finds from Pompeji is 79AD so the fashions of mid to late 1st century would apply.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany