Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Draping the chiton
Sorry for the delay, but these are some pictures of a chiton I had made for one of our Agora... It is a very fine wool fabric in plainweave, hand stitched with a roll hem and double backed blanket stitch. A set of construction sewing stitches which are at least as old as the Hallstatt culture.

I tried to drape this fabric to show the pleating and folding that can be achieved with a fabric as fine as this.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
It looks great. Just out of curiosity how much would one make.
Patrick D.
You mean a price? These are £75 each - hand stitched and a beautiful fabric. Hand dyeing is extra depending on the colour

cheers
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
I sent you a pm.

All the best.
Patrick D.
Quote:You mean a price? These are £75 each - hand stitched and a beautiful fabric. Hand dyeing is extra depending on the colour

cheers

Hello Cheyenne! Do you ship to the US and take payments through Paypal? Smile

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Claire, one of our members here in Australia has one of your tunics and it is beautiful, I am also excitedly awaiting my chiton Smile
Mark,

Yes - I ship to the USA and take paypal, would you like one making up? Postage is usually around the £12-15 mark to USA.

Andy, your Chiton is on its way, should be with you in the next few days Smile
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

Did the Greeks only use the Chiton or was some form of Tunica also used ?

I know from the ancient sources that Romans made a distinct difference between "Greek" dress and their own Tunica.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Well the in general the chiton, in its different variants, is described as the common clothing piece of ancient greece.
Until now I haven't read anything else.
I guess over the time, when greece was a province of the empire, they adopted roman clothing styles but also kept their own so that may explain your ancient source.
But its only my theory.
Patrick D.
I am looking for one of these!
A red on as well as a White one. Possible a blue one too!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I am looking for one of these!

Blue? Claire, is it too late to change my mind? LOL

Only kidding, I'll stick with the red for now, though blue does sound very nice, perhaps for the next one.. :-)

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar post=306221 Wrote:I am looking for one of these!

Blue? Claire, is it too late to change my mind? LOL

Only kidding, I'll stick with the red for now, though blue does sound very nice, perhaps for the next one.. :-)

:lol:

Well I have red, white and Blue roman tunics, so might as well stick to form...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I can do whatever colour you like.

this fabric is actually some of the best yet for taking dye. The wool used is quite porous which means the intensity of the colour is quite striking.

I am making a woad dyed saxon wrap-over lined coat for a Wulfheodnas member this week, so I'll post pics of the blue colour soon. Its rather lovely - I think i'll be making a peplos in this fabric for the viking festival next week for my 5th century Zweeloo impression to go with all my nice beads

- In terms of the differential between the chiton and the tunic - I think it has something to do with the ways in which the chiton is fastened as it seems there are many ways it can be draped to give particular effects. From my research into the comparative evidence of the 'look' of the chiton it seems the length, pleating, fastening and belting is slightly different to the later tunica.
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

Hey Claire!

Do you get my pms and mails at all?
I would really be interested to buy something from you!

Al the best!

Patrick
Patrick D.
sorry to resurrect an old thread,

i would like to know the quantity of material needed for a chiton and chlamys, i'm 175 cm tall and pretty slim,

also what about colours?