Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Draping the chiton
Quote:I found a good one thought
http://www.calontirtrim.com/queries/Show...trimid=876
[Image: greekkeymetallicredgld.jpg]

Joe there´s the link Wink

Looks nice although it's metalic. But it doesn't seem to have much of a sheen, at least in the photo.

Quote:About the pattern; It was normally woven into the fabric, as each piece was custom made.

Given the expense that went into making such patterns I wonder if a pattern would have been reused on a new tunic when the old one wore out. This seems to have been done in Late Roman times. Though a rich man probably would not have resorted to this.

~Theo
Jaime
Maybe I misunderstood you Theo. But I meant that they used different colored fibers, to create different patterns on chlamys, himation or chiton, while they made the whole fabric. At least it seems plausible to me as it was often said here that greek clothes were rarely sewn, so why the effort to sew something onto them?

As I am still new to the whole matter I may be way wrong and you are more then welcome to correct me.

Patrick D.
Patrick D.
This mourning I was testing the wool and this is the result:
http://imageshack.us/g/94/imag0644l.jpg/
It´s a try I still got to build up my brooch and maybe sew a pettern and the weights in each corner, and maybe cut off a little bit to get it shorter.

Want you opinions please
Tenerife_boy
ADaL MP
[Image: firmaacabada.png]
It is a nice start! I agree you should loose a few centimeters on its length. you have to consider that the weights will pull it down a bit. As I don't know how big you are, I would suggest something between a meter and a meter and 10 centimeters. It would be at least 10 centimeters longer than mine, which you said was a bit to short for your taste.

All the best.

Patrick D.
Patrick D.
I´m 1,90 mtrs tall
and I have read that the correct proportions are 200x135 for a guy 180cm tall so:200x145-150? for me is correct?
Tenerife_boy
ADaL MP
Hm. I don't really know.
Mine is 2m and 90 cm, I am about 1,76. If you keep the length in proportion to your body size that would be 98 cm for you. So you want to have it a bit longer you maybe should make it about 2 to 1.10/ 1.20. It still would look fine according to my opinion.
And also the two meters, funnily, were the width between the elbows of my outstretched arms doubled.So it must be a bit more for you.

Hope I could help you.

Patrick D.
Patrick D.
Ok, let´s see what can I do Smile thanks
for the weights, these are fishing plumb ones that I think they fit quite well
[Image: imag0651f.jpg]
left side ones are just 10 gr the others a bit more but just 3cms long
I could give a bronze look by painting and I think I could sew them once I choose the exactly ones I want. Just showing 2 examples to see your opinions
Tenerife_boy
ADaL MP
Gannis too, uses fishing weights for his chlamys so I see no problem with it.
Just make sure they are not too heavy cause he warned us that they always hit against your shins when you walk and after a time it hurts quite a bit according to his experience.

Patrick D.
Patrick D.
I read that post where they explain that a weight between 15-20 gr will fit perfect but 30 would hurt in you Big Grin so these are 10 gr. lets see if I could get 15-20 gr ones

Tongue
Tenerife_boy
ADaL MP
You have also to consider the weight of the fabric you use.
But I guess from the look at it you a right.

Patrick D.
Patrick D.
plumb..some reenactors said that I could make the chlamys darker by washing it a lot...but what would be the correct proccess to do that without damaging the wool?
Tenerife_boy
ADaL MP
Never heard that things got darker by washing.
Normally they de-color over time, and if it is pure wool you have two ways to clean it. Either to bring it to a dry-cleaners store, as it was suggested to me while I bought the fabric for mine. Or you have a good washing machine with an excellent wool program and wool washing agent.
But maybe some of the experienced reenactors have a few tips for us.
And I also think we should open a new thread for this as it don't fit in the original topic.

Patrick D.
Patrick D.
Quote:Never heard that things got darker by washing.
My white stuff did. Big Grin

Tenerife Boy, start reacting to mods sending you PM's. You're under scrutiny. :!:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I´m 1,90 mtrs tall
and I have read that the correct proportions are 200x135 for a guy 180cm tall so:200x145-150? for me is correct?

Personally, I draped the chlamys and got it sitting around the shoulders how I wanted it, then pinned it in place and got my other half to mark out the length etc. with chalk. It was just a case then of removing it and cutting to size along the marks. Mine comes down to just below my knees - that is without the weights added however. Yours is very nice and hangs nicely too - having to cut a little off is no problem though - after all it's better to start with too much material than too little!

Speaking of weights, it's worth speaking to Cheyenne here on the forum who can supply a set of 4 weights for £26 and will post outside the UK. I received a set last week and they are very good indeed, well worth thinking about!
Kieron Vernon aka Dienekes
Co-Founder
Sparta Mora
www.sparta-mora.org
[email protected]
Thanks a lot Dienekes Smile During this week I will get my chlamys ready in size
Tenerife_boy
ADaL MP