Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan Wargames Figures
To save me wading through all of these posts, has anybody posted any threads about Spartan wargames figures (of any period) specifically relating to armour, uniforms, organisation, base sizes etc. much of which is admittedly speculation? I'd be especially interested in photos or illustrations or any links etc. I am planning upon building up a 28mm Spartan-led army to cover an extended period of say late Peloponnesian War down until say the time of Pyrrhos of Epeiros. My intention is to incorporate other units composed of Tegeans, Corinthians, Thespians; as well as some traditional enemies like Thebans, Athenians and Argives. I also have plans for a Hanniballic Carthaginian army (but I'll save that for another time).

Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions, directions or help Big Grin

H
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/main.asp
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/main.asp

Thanks CF

I have actually been buying Foundry figures for years. I have exhausted the various figure providers in searching for appropriate figures. What I meant was has anybody any views, pics or info (other than names of manufacturers) of their own figures etc.?

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/main.asp

Off-topic, but damn, what a horribly designed website! Big Grin Love the figures though. 8)
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
It is hard to navigate the website. They have some figures I haven't seen anywhere else.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
My own Spartan figures are all Foundry. I used to work for the company, so avoided the sticker-shock aspect of their pricing.

Steve Saleh, who sculpted those figures, has since made a range of earlier-era (C. 500 BCE) Spartans, which were sold through Artizan Designs and most recently through a new company called Gorgon.
Yeh I agree that their site is a nightmare of colour and boxes to navigate, and I do wish these figure manufacturers would sell figures individually. I think Foundry's figures are great but they are pricey and they sell packs with crap figures you don't want or need. Steve Saleh's work is magnificent and I have seen his other more recent figures for Artizan etc. I think he is doing some for Gripping Beast as well these days isn't he?

I think Wargames Foundry came to recognise some people wanted to buy large groups of more closely related figures (like the way wargames used to be) rather than assembling a rabble of figures in a unit with every guy having a different pose and holding his spear in a different direction. I must be old fashioned but I like my units to be neater and more orderly (allowing for some slight variation). They started producing these unit groups but the figures are not quite as good as the earlier ones often having shields cast as part of the figure.

The obvious additional route to go is to allow for customer selected batches of figures (as long as you required a decent number) whereby we could choose what we wanted. In that way I could ditch all the figures scratching their heads, sitting down, naked, picking their noses, and without helmets and so on!!!

Or, if there were enough wargamers on here, we could set up a barter system? Some might like the odd ones for scenic purposes, dioramas, etc.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi Jasper. We seem to be following each other around Smile lol: !!! I got the new A-W issue BTW - the post strike seems resolved. Too much Roman stuff for my tastes :oops: :wink: but interesting nonetheless - particularly the Myronides article 8)