Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macedonian Soldier Stele
Paralus wrote:
Quote:The image, in my copy, does not facilitate any ready identification. If it is, in fact, an arm Nikanor seems to be reaching forward and downwards with his left hand and he is rotated slightly to his right.
...indeed this was a standard pose from the days of the Panathenaic procession depicted on the Parthenon, and repeated endlessly thereafter - horse 'gathered', rider deep-seated, legs angled forward, body rotated toward the observer ( occasionally, for variation, because a number of horsemen are shown on the Parthenon frieze, the body is rotated away from the viewer, or in profile), head in profile. The right arm is often raised to throw a javelin or downward thrust a spear.....mostly the riders point left,( all on the Parthenon frieze) but sometimes right on copies of the pose on funeral stele and the like ( mirror image). The rear hand almost always 'disappears' behind the horses neck ( it saves the sculptor having to do another difficult and tricky hand ! )

I don't think "letter styles" is a terribly accurate way of dating a stele ( which is the authors method), and since the carving is inevitably worn, I don't think one can be positive that a long-sleeved tunic is worn. To me that line between rider and horses neck could just as easily be a short-sleeved tunic and arm. The style of the stele is right for any period from the Parthenon onward, unfortunately.The pose and style persisted into the second century ( see attached 3 C Alexandrine stele), ..... and so no guide to date- see attached for example - The Thessalian's left arm is all but worn away, but the bottom is just visible next to his right hand between rider and horses neck....This stele is dated c. 350-300 BC, the age of Philip and Alexander - note the Phrygian helmet.
The helmet on the stele in question here, with it's slight peak/brow, the forehead 'notch' and low comb looks to me like a well-known and common Antigonid type ( see attached - one of two helmets found at Melos), not known before around 275 BC, maybe 250 BC. The 'attic' helmets of Philip and Alexander's day all seem to have had high 'Phrygian' combs ( see Alexander coins and the so-called 'Philip' iron helmet for example)....I would therefore tend to think a later date than the authors.

As to shield or no shield, shields are depicted being carried by cavalry from the second half of the fourth century in South Italy, in particular Tarentine and Lucanian horsemen. Nearchus, one of Alexander's admirals, also mentions some Indian cavalry carrying relatively small shields.It is therefore an outside possibility that this figure carries a shield

However, Greek and Macedonian cavalry don't seem to have adopted shields until Pyrrhus' time, and the time of the Gallic invasion.( after 278 BC).They do not seem to have used 'aspides' but rather the celtic flat circular shield with spine, also apparently adopted in Italy from the celts.....

On balance of probability, I would suggest this stele shows a shieldless cavalryman, but I would disagree with the authors over it's dating, and place it (probably)after 275 BC, largely because of the helmet.....and of course given the relative crudity of the carving, one can interpret it a number of ways..... :? ?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:I don't think "letter styles" is a terribly accurate way of dating a stele ( which is the authors method), and since the carving is inevitably worn, I don't think one can be positive that a long-sleeved tunic is worn.

Palaeography actually is a pretty good way to date stelae (or at least, to corroborate their dates with other evidence). There definitely does seem to be a line at the wrist, so I would readily accept that Nikanor wears a long-sleeved tunic.

Quote:The helmet on the stele in question here, with it's slight peak/brow, the forehead 'notch' and low comb looks to me like a well-known and common Antigonid type ( see attached - one of two helmets found at Melos), not known before around 275 BC, maybe 250 BC. The 'attic' helmets of Philip and Alexander's day all seem to have had high 'Phrygian' combs ( see Alexander coins and the so-called 'Philip' iron helmet for example)....I would therefore tend to think a later date than the authors.

Yes, such helmets from rich tombs like those from the tomb at Vergina and Marvinci had high crests, but they are unique examples - we find other examples of the type of helmet seen on this stele in 4th c. BC art. One example is painted in the background of the battle scene on the Alexander sarcophagus, for instance. This stele could easily date to c. 300 BC.

Quote:However, Greek and Macedonian cavalry don't seem to have adopted shields until Pyrrhus' time, and the time of the Gallic invasion.( after 278 BC).They do not seem to have used 'aspides' but rather the celtic flat circular shield with spine, also apparently adopted in Italy from the celts.....

Both aspides and spined round shields were carried by Antigonid cavalrymen, and Hellenistic cavalrymen in general.

Quote:On balance of probability, I would suggest this stele shows a shieldless cavalryman, but I would disagree with the authors over it's dating, and place it (probably)after 275 BC, largely because of the helmet.....and of course given the relative crudity of the carving, one can interpret it a number of ways..... :? ?

I think the suggested dating fits just fine, but it could date to the early years of the 3rd c. BC as well. The lack of shield and long sleeves would fit perfectly within this timeframe.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Hello gentlemen. Since i think i'm the younger in the discussion,i would like you to trust a bit my eyes Tongue (no offence eh!).
Although of course the photo is not clear,however one could distinguish pteryges on his shoulder. Not only the photo is not clear but as has been pointed out,the artist wasn't a Pheidias! I would say however that pteryges are visible on his right "sleeve" and i think there is decent indication of pteryges also in his left arm,rulling out the shield. Together with the fact that this is a typical pose of horsemen and that there is no other evidence of shielded cavalry of that type,i think the weight goes mostly to the object being his left arm (and yes,even if he doesn't have pteryges,there is certainly the line of the hem of the sleeve)
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Returning to the original image:

Quote:I found this on AncientSculpturGallary website....This soldier clearly holds a pelta, Phrygian helmet, longche, thorax....
Opinions..?
Johnny

What do you make of the shield design? Is that a specifically Makedonian image, or one used by other Greeks of the period? I think I have seen it used by Carthaginian hoplites too. Also, is there any significance to what looks like a snake climbing up his spear? Although the figure is singular, I wonder if he might be a Dioskouri-related representation.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:Returning to the original image:

Johnny Shumate:qpn1th66 Wrote:I found this on AncientSculpturGallary website....This soldier clearly holds a pelta, Phrygian helmet, longche, thorax....
Opinions..?
Johnny

What do you make of the shield design? Is that a specifically Makedonian image, or one used by other Greeks of the period? I think I have seen it used by Carthaginian hoplites too. Also, is there any significance to what looks like a snake climbing up his spear? Although the figure is singular, I wonder if he might be a Dioskouri-related representation.

The shield design is the generic Macedonian design which was used for shields of an episema with a symbol and concentric circles around the rim. The snake is a chthonic symbol in Greek religion, and heroic figures are often depicted alongside trees, snakes, and altars (on which they are often pouring libations).
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:What do you make of the shield design? Is that a specifically Makedonian image, or one used by other Greeks of the period?
There seem to have been two main designs used by the Makedonians - the 'Macedonian Royal Sun/Star' with sometimes four, usually eight, and sometimes sixteen 'rays' ,and this type, with 'crescents' around the edge, and dots. There was also a third type which had as a central device a Royal portrait as an 'emblema'. These designs appear, with many variations, on various Makedonian and later, Hellenistic, coins; votive shields from Makedon, and fragments of Makedonian and Hellenistic 'peltai' that survive, as well as in sculpture, as here and on the 'Aemilius Paullus' frieze, for example.

Neither the 'Sun/Star' design, or the 'crescents' design are unique to Makedonia where they became 'national emblems' so to speak. The 'Sun/Star' design appears on Greek Hoplite shields, for example, and variations of the 'crescent' design on coins of the Illyrian town of Skodra, and on a stone relief from Illyria.

Purely speculatively, it is tempting to suggest that the "Royal" 'Sun/Star emblem originated in Makedonian use among troops of the original kingdom - lower Makedonia, and the 'crescent' design from Upper Makedonia, a design shared/commonly used among neighbouring Illyrians, and that the 'portrait' designs were carried by Guard Units.....pure guesswork, as I say. :wink:

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:
Ghostmojo:2q7gpgib Wrote:Returning to the original image:

Johnny Shumate:2q7gpgib Wrote:I found this on AncientSculpturGallary website....This soldier clearly holds a pelta, Phrygian helmet, longche, thorax....
Opinions..?
Johnny

The shield design is the generic Macedonian design which was used for shields of an episema with a symbol and concentric circles around the rim. The snake is a chthonic symbol in Greek religion, and heroic figures are often depicted alongside trees, snakes, and altars (on which they are often pouring libations).

I neglected to consider the cthonic aspect of it MP. Your point adds to my curiosity about a Dioskouri connection (also the possible Pilos helmet being connected with them) as deities with obvious military connections and totemistic links with the snake.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:Neither the 'Sun/Star' design, or the 'crescents' design are unique to Makedonia where they became 'national emblems' so to speak. The 'Sun/Star' design appears on Greek Hoplite shields, for example, and variations of the 'crescent' design on coins of the Illyrian town of Skodra, and on a stone relief from Illyria.

Purely speculatively, it is tempting to suggest that the "Royal" 'Sun/Star emblem originated in Makedonian use among troops of the original kingdom - lower Makedonia, and the 'crescent' design from Upper Makedonia, a design shared/commonly used among neighbouring Illyrians, and that the 'portrait' designs were carried by Guard Units.....pure guesswork, as I say. :wink:

The crescent design only appears in Illyria in the early 3rd c. BC, and so it is certain that it was adopted from the Macedonians, since it appears in Macedonia already from the early 4th c. BC (the shields from the grave at Katerini). Even among the Paeonians it doesn't appear until the second half of the 4th c. BC, and so a lower Macedonian origin for such a shield design seems pretty certain, with the surrounding peoples adopting it once the Macedonians become powerful (in the same way that the Kazanluk paintings show a Thracian leader wearing a kausia).

Quote:I neglected to consider the cthonic aspect of it MP. Your point adds to my curiosity about a Dioskouri connection (also the possible Pilos helmet being connected with them) as deities with obvious military connections and totemistic links with the snake.

I'm not very knowledgeable of Greek religion, so I can't help you much there, but if the helmet that man is wearing is a Pilos (and in the picture Johnny posted, it seems like it has a diminutive crest, indicating that it is likely a Phrygian), then it can be more easily explained by the fact that Pilos/Konos helmets became if not standard issue, then by far the most popular helmet type used by Macedonian soldiers after Alexander for practical reasons - Julius Africanus states that it was used because it "unobstructed the combatants view."
Ruben

Ruben wrote:
Quote:The crescent design only appears in Illyria in the early 3rd c. BC, and so it is certain that it was adopted from the Macedonians, since it appears in Macedonia already from the early 4th c. BC (the shields from the grave at Katerini). Even among the Paeonians it doesn't appear until the second half of the 4th c. BC, and so a lower Macedonian origin for such a shield design seems pretty certain, with the surrounding peoples adopting it once the Macedonians become powerful (in the same way that the Kazanluk paintings show a Thracian leader wearing a kausia).
Well, the crescent design on coins such as those of the town of Skodra appear from the late 3 C BC, to be precise around the time of Philip V of Makedon dominated the place ( 211-197 BC), and when the local King Genthius took over, the Macedonian crescent designs, and also apparently, 'sunburst' designs continued for a while, before Genthius replaced them with local designs showing galleys, and himself wearing a 'Kausia', like the Thracian....

You are almost certainly quite right, then, that these are copies of Macedonian shield designs on coins - emblems of Macedonian power .......so much for wild guesswork !! Sad roll:

...which leaves the stone relief from Bausch, which I can't track down or date, though it will likely be the same period.....

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Well, the crescent design on coins such as those of the town of Skodra appear from the late 3 C BC, to be precise around the time of Philip V of Makedon dominated the place ( 211-197 BC), and when the local King Genthius took over, the Macedonian crescent designs, and also apparently, 'sunburst' designs continued for a while, before Genthius replaced them with local designs showing galleys, and himself wearing a 'Kausia', like the Thracian....

You are almost certainly quite right, then, that these are copies of Macedonian shield designs on coins - emblems of Macedonian power .......so much for wild guesswork !! Sad roll:

...which leaves the stone relief from Bausch, which I can't track down or date, though it will likely be the same period.....

According to Liampi, the earliest issue in Illyria of coinage featuring the Macedonian shield dates to after 188 BC (from Lychnidus), so they all postdate the 3rd c. BC.

However, I actually have to adjust my statement.... There are actual examples of shields dating to the 4th c. BC which I totally forgot about. An actual example of an almost perfectly-preserved bronze facing of a Macedonian shield from the necropolis at Apollonia dates to the late 4th or early 3rd c. BC, and a stele from that same city dating to the late 4th c. BC also depicts a Macedonian shield. Apollonia had a large Greek population, and so it's difficult to say whether these are actually Illyrian or not. However, this is still significantly later than the early representations of Macedonian shields from Macedonia. Nonetheless, it can be shown that by the early 2nd c. BC Illyrians proper certainly did use the Macedonian shield, since there are representations of Illyrian warriors carrying them on belt plates from burials from Gostilj and Selca e Poshteme.
Ruben

Ruben wrote:
Quote:Palaeography actually is a pretty good way to date stelae (or at least, to corroborate their dates with other evidence). There definitely does seem to be a line at the wrist, so I would readily accept that Nikanor wears a long-sleeved tunic.
....since a 'style' of letter-incising would spread slowly from it's place of origin over a long time, I don't believe it alone can be used to date a stele, but only to within 50 years or so......as you say, it needs further corroborative evidence.
As to lines across wrists, these appear on many sculptures/ friezes, because wrists are thin and easily crack, not to mention that sculpture is often 'vandalised' by having protruding bits - hands, faces, heads - hacked off and these items subsequently being 'restored'. Like Giannis, I am inclined to believe it is more likely a short sleeve - see also the similar stele I posted.

Quote:Yes, such helmets from rich tombs like those from the tomb at Vergina and Marvinci had high crests, but they are unique examples - we find other examples of the type of helmet seen on this stele in 4th c. BC art. One example is painted in the background of the battle scene on the Alexander sarcophagus, for instance. This stele could easily date to c. 300 BC.
...actually, a number of 'Attic' type helmets appear on the sarcophagus. I don't think they are of the 'Antigonid' type I referred to - the bowl shape is different and the Antigonid type, judging by the surviving examples ( which don't seem to have any provision for crests) and the "Lyson and Kallikles' tomb painting ( crestless). Which is not important, given the limitations of the medium. The 'Alexander Sarcophagus' was made either for Abdalonymus, who died in 311 BC, or perhaps later for Mazaeus or someone else. Given the date and the 'Attic style ' helmet, what you suggest is probably equally possible, though the carved helmet in question is crestless like the Antigonid style, rather than the crested examples on the sarcophagus....

Quote:Both aspides and spined round shields were carried by Antigonid cavalrymen, and Hellenistic cavalrymen in general.Both aspides and spined round shields were carried by Antigonid cavalrymen, and Hellenistic cavalrymen in general.

....I'm not at all sure you are correct in this. Depictions, of course, are few. There are some reliefs of Greek cavalry carrying 'aspides' from Thespiae in Boeotia ( referred to in Duncan Head's AMPW), and Tarantines of course, but AFIK all known depictions of shielded Makedonian/Antigonid cavalry show the Celtic spined variety. Have you come across specific examples of Makedonian cavalry with 'aspides'.

Quote:I think the suggested dating fits just fine, but it could date to the early years of the 3rd c. BC as well. The lack of shield and long sleeves would fit perfectly within this timeframe.
...I'd agree.... Smile D

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Ruben wrote:
Quote:According to Liampi, the earliest issue in Illyria of coinage featuring the Macedonian shield dates to after 188 BC (from Lychnidus), so they all postdate the 3rd c. BC.
...I think Liampi must be wrong then! My source for those remarks was "Ancient Illyria: an archaeological exploration" by Sir Arthur Evans and Bejtullah D. Destani ( available on Google Books ) - there is a whole section on Illyrian numismatics.

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:As to lines across wrists, these appear on many sculptures/ friezes, because wrists are thin and easily crack, not to mention that sculpture is often 'vandalised' by having protruding bits - hands, faces, heads - hacked off and these items subsequently being 'restored'. Like Giannis, I am inclined to believe it is more likely a short sleeve - see also the similar stele I posted.

I think in this case it requires a second opinion based on a closer examination. I am inclined to follow Hatzopoulos and Juhel in this matter for now, though, as it seems to me to be a raised band rather than a crack in the picture.

Quote:....I'm not at all sure you are correct in this. Depictions, of course, are few. There are some reliefs of Greek cavalry carrying 'aspides' from Thespiae in Boeotia ( referred to in Duncan Head's AMPW), and Tarantines of course, but AFIK all known depictions of shielded Makedonian/Antigonid cavalry show the Celtic spined variety. Have you come across specific examples of Makedonian cavalry with 'aspides'..

A sarcophagus from Kilkis depicting an Antigonid cavalryman and his equipment:

http://antiquemilitaryhistory.com/images/kilkiscist.JPG

In addition, we have dozens of representations of Hellenistic cavalrymen carrying aspides from just about all regions of the Hellenistic world outside of Macedonia, and so there is little reason to think that the Macedonians for some reason didn't carry them.

Quote:Ruben wrote:
Quote:According to Liampi, the earliest issue in Illyria of coinage featuring the Macedonian shield dates to after 188 BC (from Lychnidus), so they all postdate the 3rd c. BC.
...I think Liampi must be wrong then! My source for those remarks was "Ancient Illyria: an archaeological exploration" by Sir Arthur Evans and Bejtullah D. Destani ( available on Google Books ) - there is a whole section on Illyrian numismatics.

Liampi's numismatical examinations are very good, and based on up-to-date evidence. By contrast, "Ancient Illyria" is a reprint of works that are over a century old (originally printed in 1885 and 1886)! I'm afraid in this matter I'm going to have to go with Liampi.
Ruben

Quote:A sarcophagus from Kilkis depicting an Antigonid cavalryman and his equipment.

And, were we to render that image the other way around, the shield would perfectly fit the "left arm" of the Hatzopoulos / Juhel fig.10!

I agree that one would need to actually see the stele; as I've said, the image just isn't clear enough for me to make any dogmatic claims. As Giannis has observed: my eyes aren't his (cheeky bugger).

[size=70:3imji496]*Personal interest disclaimer: The contributor known as "Paralus" has a financial interest in OPSM. He possesses more than the odd pair of reading glasses.[/size]
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Paralus wrote:
Quote:And, were we to render that image the other way around, the shield would perfectly fit the "left arm" of the Hatzopoulos / Juhel fig.10!
...not sure what you mean. The circular shield of Ruben's post has neither rim ( so cannot positively be identified as 'aspis'), nor a central 'spina'/barleycorn umbo ( so cannot be positively identified as 'celtic' type). It could be either, with either rim or 'spina/umbo' painted on.....

The image, even 'mirrored' certainly would not match the Hatzopoulos/Juhel one.Look how the rim comes well above the shoulder...over the neck and almost to the jaw-line. It also protrudes well behind the figure ( though one might argue obscured by billowing cloak on Hatzupolous/Juhel figure)

Different weaponry appears as decoration on the remaining parts of the sarcophagus - a different helmet, armour, and definite aspides.....

Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Macedonian soldier helm ? Uther 11 3,992 07-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos