Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muscled Cuirass : Iron or Bronze ?
Severus,

What pteruge width do you think is appropriate for a tribune's attire ? For the tribune, his pterueges seem narrower to me than a legionaire's from the 2nd or 3rd century AD. Is that the impression you get as well when seeing the evidence ?

What width would you recommend ?
Jaime
That Worthing helmet shown is a Guisborough type, same as the Teilenhofen example, only probably much less expensive. The original Guisborough example is about as simple as the Worthing example and actually, the majority of helmets of that type were much less decorated than the Teilenhofen. This type was in use (acording to Feugère) between late first and late third centuries CE. A very much simpler --and earlier type-- from which it probably stems is the attic helmet found at Pompei (or is it Herculaneum?) classified as a vigile helmet by P. Connolly and beautifully reproduced by T. Feldon.
I think this is the type of helmet shown not only on the Louvre relief but on several others and of course on the famous trajanic reliefs re-used on the arch of Constantine, where these helms are shown with a bizarre wheel shaped crest flanked by two feathers.
Depending on who was making the helmet and the talent of the maker, the decoration could be in the "provincial" or "naive" style like the Worthing helmet.. And the Teilenhofen, or in the classical greek-hellenistic style.
No Guisborough type decorated in the classical style has been found yet. But this style is perfectly illustrated in the Weiler type helmet of Xanten-Ward , or even better in the masked helmet found at Homs, in Syria. The last one displays a beautifuly executed decoration of foliage in the purest classical style on the short, curved neckguard..
Pascal Sabas
Hmmm... do you have more information or a reference for that "vigile helmet"?
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
[url:3ks1bbvi]http://www.swordandstone.com/armour/cityguardhelmet.html[/url]
The "vigile" helmet.
Pascal Sabas
Yup, that's a prettified version of that helmet. At the Impact of the Roman Empire conference, two weeks ago, it was suggested that this helmet and the equipment with it, actually belonged to the Classis Misenensis. Apparently the same type of helmet has been found on the Po, near the site of the Battle of Bedriacum, connecting it possibly with legio I Adiutrix.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I did it!! I did it!! I finally managed to put a link in there!! I'm a genius!! Big Grin
...Never mind..
Pascal Sabas
Well done!

(isn't this new system easy? Just select the text that needs to be a link and click the URL button)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Thanks Antoninus... I suppose the original is deep in the basement of the Naples Museum somewhere? Published anywhere?
Jasper-- it sounds like an interesting conference... any other naval papers?
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
That wasn't a naval paper. The only one there was my own, about Roman marines.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
A picture of the original vigile helm can be seen on P. Connolly's Greece and Rome at War. That is where it is described as a vigile helmet. But the Misenium hypothesis is more interesting.
..And.. ahem.. Incidentally.. Helmets of this type can be "deciphered" on Trajan's Column... Big Grin
Pascal Sabas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shoulder-doublings on muscled cuirass - metal or hide ? Theodosius the Great 28 4,916 06-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Brass/bronze Vs. Steel/iron helmets arklore70 18 6,269 02-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Celt
  Non-iron Helmets, brass or bronze? Anonymous 3 1,313 05-20-2002, 04:18 AM
Last Post: Daniel S Peterson