Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armatura della Colchide
Hi,

did you heard about this new armour found in Georgia?
http://servizi.comune.cento.fe.it/progd ... ico-romano

It will be on display from today to last friday only at Cento in Italy, and seems to be the "monster" of all roman armour found, in terms of quality. It should be a decorated muscolata similare to Augustus Prima Porta, but the big news is that it has 6 pteruges!

Of course these are all voices, I didn't see any images and also take pics or photos is strictly forbidden. Or... anyone has something to see?
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Is it armour or another statue with armour on?

Legion: TBD
Hi Luca
here some images
Anyhow I would not be so sure about these items. Somethings sound (very) strange, up to my opinion.

[Image: 84817331.jpg]

[Image: 86788190.jpg]
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
That´s leather, right?
[Image: smilie_hops_032.gif]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Wow, looks very well preserved for a bronze musculata. Any info on the pteruges? Were they made of leather?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Yesterday I watched on tv the "official" worlwide presentation (during a trash-scientific program called "Voyager").
Also to me these decorations seem very strange, a mix of roman and not roman suff.
It was claimed by the professor that is studying the armour thta this armour is completely made of brass, not bronze.
Pteruges are probably a fake. They are in brass too, but they seem 6 pugios or better dagas with the handgrip turned upside down in order to hang them somewhere.
C14 analysis have yet to be done....

Very strange find, but interesting.
Luca Bonacina
www.cisalpina.net
Indeed a wonderful set, but also some signs of a fake. I'm looking forward to some proper research to prove it is genuine.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Yesterday I watched on tv the "official" worlwide presentation (during a trash-scientific program called "Voyager").

Pteruges are probably a fake. They are in brass too, but they seem 6 pugios or better dagas with the handgrip turned upside down in order to hang them somewhere.
C14 analysis have yet to be done....

Very strange find, but interesting.

Where are the pteruges?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
they are not visbile in these pictures. I just saw them on TV.
Luca Bonacina
www.cisalpina.net
Quote:Yesterday I watched on tv the "official" worlwide presentation (during a trash-scientific program called "Voyager").
I saw it too, and I have to say that it was frustrating! The biggest part of the time was about the carriage and other like that, indeed not interesting. The mask and the armour were showed just for seconds and quite from far.

I believe somethings sounds strange because:
- the professor said it was found in a place where he is now studing about movements of Pompeus in those areas. But this is an imperial cavalry parade mask, not republican;
- holes and damages : sounds absolutely fake.
- all the surface of the lorica is punched. I obviousely never have seen a roman muscle armour, just greek and etruscan, but I never saw a punched one.
- and what about the strange pieces like the bottom of a linotorax? Never seen befor.
- the patination is from a type of green typic of fakes.
- it comes not from an archeological research but just from a georgian guy.

Of course it can be an original one, but I would be not so sure.
Marco

The green patina is very close to the patina that have practically all the fakes. The mask are inspired in roman ones, but with some "tuning" implements... I vote for a fake...
and further,
- embossments are artless and odd, especially on the rear of the helmet. A so high level armour must be an artwork, surely better than this. Take a look to the fighters on the following images. I have not words!
- hinge on the mask is wrong in the shape and in the dimensions. Just look to all other original mask on RAT database.

[Image: rearju.jpg]

vote for fake, me too :?
Just is impossible that they made about a fake an official presentation on tv, a book, and an exposition in the University of Ferrara.
Marco

Quote:That´s leather, right?

Heh. If someone wanted to make a fake they would have made it from leather since everyone knows that the Romans made this kind of armour from leather. Tongue
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Here is a video of the armatura....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b0n2gh21Zg
Regards,

Miha Franca
"Balnea, vina, Venus corrumpunt corpora nostra; sed vitam faciunt balnea, vina, Venus."
Tiberius Claudius Secundus
www.vespesjan.eu
Good grief...watching that video made me dizzy! Why couldn't the camera man stand still?

I wonder how long it will take the "analysis" of this stuff to be completed?

Legion: TBD