Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building a boat-hull Boeotian
Lovely! No doubt you've seen Chris's post. Different construction but he has experimented with moving the beast. [url:3afkuz1x]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeKuy36OG_g[/url]
Peter Raftos
Chris's video was one of my inspirations--nor did my first experience fighting behind it find any flaws with his analysis about use.

I have had to re-cut the cover and change the edges. Matt Amt was right (as always) and it shrank to the point that it snapped the laces. No damage to the ribs and main braces, so I re-wet the surface and clenched copper nails -- visually attractive and it SEEMS to have shrunk to fit just right, but I won't know for a week. I'll post pictures--in triumph if it succeeds, and for a lesson if it fails...

Always listen to advice on RAT!
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
I made a quick shield out of plywood with the cutouts on the sides like your Boetian. I am a martial artist and constantly test different techniques so I tried resting the spear in the cutouts. It was very easy to maneuver and press especially in a phalanx stance. I am going to make a Boetian eventually and I thank you immensely for posting yours.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
A very nice looking shield. About how much did it cost to build?

Edward
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

Cost a little less than $400. The rawhide was expensive--about $100. I paid a professional to steam bend my oak. he's doing me a pair of aspis rims now... perhaps one will be for Giannis... anyway, the rims were a little less than $200 a set.
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I am impressed to see the quality of workmanship you people put in your recreations. Anyway, not only am I a newbie to the forum but I have never made anything like this but my summer project is to build a shield from scratch. the Boetioan shield you made here is very impressive and I think I'll be using this as my "base model". If i were to put a metal "cover" on the front of the shield, how would I attach it on? How did the Greeks do it? I looked around in the RAT forum and can't seem to find an answer on this question. Any suggestions?

Thanks and great job!
John
You would have to forge the cover in three dimensions--what we call anticlastic forming. But that said, you would rivet the metal right through the wood--carefully. I believe that's how the Bassel and Vatican shields are done.
Well,yes...and no,Christian. First to point out that no boeotian metal cover has been found or identified,neither for the body nor for the rim. The "argive" hoplite shields that were fully covered had the metal curving for up to 4 cm in the inner side of the rim,and this was the main form of securing it. Additionally the vatican shield had 7 small rivets also in the inner side of the rim. I have seen a cover on an italian shield that had tiny holes all along the outer rim,right inside the groove between the rim and the bowl. No other cover i have seen had so many holes,though.
Some shields had metal devises and those were also riveted on.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
ok great! Unfortunately my forging skills are close to zero. However, I have been planning on making a home casting furnace for other things. This may be unorthodox but I wonder if I could cast the cover? I think compressive and tensile strength will be an issue but some heat treatments may mitigate that problem.

Thanks again.
John
I'm affaraid the answer woul be deffinately no! The bronze covers are as thin as 0,2-0,5 mm. Their purpose was to support the structure of the shield,and perhaps this is the reason why it was useful only to the round shields.
In all,it's impossible to cast anything as big and thin,that would be even close to bearable weight.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I followed this thread very closely for some years and I plan to make my own Boeotian very soon following your instructions.
However, I keep wondering how does the shield look now, have you painted the cover or dit you leave it blank?

Curious to hear and to see Smile
Polemarch of the Spartiates: Aegiadae

Hardwig
http://spartiates.agogeads.be
Hi eveyone,

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I was wondering: I notice quite a lot of the pictures are now broken links. Has anyone saved them, perchance?

Thanks,

Dave

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  For you boat lovers, but a bit early richsc 1 2,227 07-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding
  Boeotian Hat nikolaos 5 3,039 03-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Last Post: John Conyard