Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire
A new book on Byzantine warfare has just been published :

[size=150:2559jpan]The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire[/size], by Edward Luttwak.
http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Strategy-By ... 333&sr=8-1

I managed to browse through a copy yesterday and the book is more comprehensive than the author's
previous book, "The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire" (1976).

~Theo
Jaime
Thanks Theo, a "must" buy Smile ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Ye Gods, not another book to buy ... Cry
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Although it is still on my backlog thanks to school, from what I've browsed through, it seems pretty good and I would recommend at least an inter-library loan for you Byzantine/Late Roman guys out there. The author also received input from some of the most prominent scholars on the Byzantine military, Walter Kaegi and John Haldon. I know this does not make the book infallible, but it can't hurt.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
You can check out this link to Google Books.

Personally I'm not happy with the title, but then again, he wrote the other book as well, so I guess a title like 'The Grand Strategy of the other Roman Empire' would not really do.

Of course, the 'grand strategy' of the Later Roman Empire was already written, by Martijn Nicasie:
Nicasie, Martijn (1997): Twilight of Empire, the Roman Army from the Reign of Diocletian until the Battle of Adrianople, (Thesis Publishers Amsterdam).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Soldier's Life: Martial Virtues and Manly Romanitas in the Early Byzantine Empire Condottiero Magno 0 728 12-10-2018, 02:01 AM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno
  Luttwak, Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire Jona Lendering 3 1,458 05-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering
  Grand Strategy Anonymous 10 3,020 08-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest