Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oxbow Book Deals
One of my favorite booksellers is Oxbow Books, www.oxbowbooks.com . I just got their latest catalog, and these are among the offerings you might find interesting:<br>
<br>
Les Forces Navales de Bas Danube et de la Mer Noire aux 1er-6eme Siecles. [Naval Forces of the Lower Danube and Black Sea from the 1st to 6th centuries]. O. Bounegru and M. Zahariade.<br>
<br>
Die Roemische Limes. Dietwulf Baatz. Back in print!<br>
<br>
JRMES 9 -- Oxbow is distributor.<br>
<br>
Building a Roman Legionary Fortress. Elizabeth Shirley.<br>
<br>
Soldiers, Cities, and Civilians in Roman Syria. Nigel Pollard.<br>
<br>
Roman Army in Jordan. David Kennedy.<br>
<br>
Das Spiel mit dem Tod. Marcus Junkelmann's look at gladiators.<br>
<br>
There's a ton more on the Oxbow website -- enjoy!<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Jenn<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Thanks, Jenny. I'll check the site out.<br>
<br>
What do you know about E. Shirley's book about building forts? Do you have that one? Did I tell you we are in the process of building an auxiliary fort in Lafe, AR, just for kicks?<br>
<br>
Just got a '61 reprint copy of Birley's "Roman Army in Roman Britain (Papers)" yesterday. Am reading one of Goldsworthy's now and have Luttwak next. <p></p><i></i>
This is from the Oxbow description:<br>
<br>
"An excellent guide to the planning, design, and construction of Roman legionary fortresses, which also questions how they would have looked and performed. Chapters on Roman building technology, the materials, labor, and associated structures and features, such as streets and drains, provide fascinating insights into the life, work, and extraordinary skills of the soldier-builders. Richly illustrated throughout with useful diagrams." 160 pages, 52 b/w illus, from Tempus, 2001, ISBN 0752419110, paperback.<br>
<br>
But if you're looking at building a cohort fort, try searching German-language websites that dwell on the limes. Here are some examples:<br>
<br>
www.taunus-wetterau-limes...lzheim.htm<br>
<br>
www.taunus-wetterau-limes...tzbac2.htm<br>
<br>
my.bawue.de/~wmwerner/dts...elsee.html<br>
<br>
www.hanau.de/stadt/geschi...mer_02.htm<br>
<br>
Do a search on Yahoo (for example) on the following terms:<br>
<br>
Römerkastelle<br>
Römerkastell<br>
numeruskastell<br>
cohortekastell<br>
limeskastell<br>
limes Römische<br>
<br>
and further combinations. (You can make the umlaut-o by holding ALT and typing 148 on your keypad, w/ NUM LOCK on)<br>
<br>
Hope this helps find some good examples!<br>
<br>
The Saalburg reconstruction is of a cohort fort if I remember correctly, but I haven't got the link at hand.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Jenny<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Thanks again, Jenny. This gives me lots to check into. Have to put Shirley on the list...Chuck <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxbow Book Bargains Vindex 0 1,032 09-14-2012, 01:45 AM
Last Post: Vindex