Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halloween
This year our grandson wanted to b a Space Marine from the film Aliens - and he was.

However... On Friday he marched in his school's Halloween Costume Parade as a Roman Centurion.

Here is is with a classmate who just happened to be Cleopatra.

[attachment=0:jrxj3nlj]<!-- ia0 Cleopatra and Centurion.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:jrxj3nlj]

This is an improvement over last year's attempt. The gladius (obtained from Soul of the Warrior) and pugio are updates as are the greaves. Much better than the Lego sword used last year. Not 100% authentic -- but perhaps good enough for an 8 year olds' costume.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Nice pic, at that age I really had to fight hard for my toy gladius. But if people dress all they like at Halloween, what is the difference to carnival?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Carnival is not that big over here (except Mardi Gras in New Orleans). Some of the bigger cities have a few things going - the "salsa" bar here in Pittburgh will have something going. It's mostly a chance for folks to binge drink.

Halloween has definitely morphed into a huge secular holiday (for kids and adults). Most folks are totally unaware of the religious base to it -All Hallows' Eve. I remember having to go to church on All Saints' Day for a special liturgy (November 1st). The upside of a parochial school education is a mind filled with stuff like this. The downside is the same!
Cheryl Boeckmann
Quote:what is the difference to carnival?
I always thought carnival is more about alcohol, sex and promiscuity... Wink
At least it´s so here.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HALLOWEEN!!!! Nihonius Legio 35 4,670 11-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Narukami
  Halloween! Caius Valens 7 1,411 10-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Dan Diffendale