Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Warfare: Reader\'s questions Special?
Hi Binoy,
No, that's not necessary. When the idea is more fully formed, I'll try to drum up support.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
An article on Roman Legion rations, cookware, utensils, ovens and food preparation.

An article on the history of Ancient Warfare reenactment.

Not on topic but a suggestion for the magazine:
An annual award for the worst historically inaccurate gear in a movie, play, theme park or made by a manufacturer. Could be called the Golden Bracer or maybe the Plastic Pilum. You could even design and make an actual award and mail it to the winner each year. Runners up could receive a Printed Certificate.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
The ancient origins of international law; arbitration amongst the Greek city-states, the Olympic Truce, observation of religious festivals during wartime. I know, they didn't have international law in the modern sense, but there were cases of states observing international norms even when they ran contrary to their interests.
Also could list the most notorious violators of ancient "international law."
[*]don't know, but would a kind of re-enactors indispendable booklist (with a few comments) be something? As you go for a 're-enactment guide, it probably would. I see the RAT indispensable booklist getting overlooked some times and has few comments about what you could find in which book. Would be a nice start for people to do their research.

[*]marching camp layouts + defensive constructions

[*]Roman postal services. How fast would an order from from Rome arrive on Hadrians wall (or whatever place far away) and how was this accomplished

[*]the armies supplies. How would the marching column have looked like. (what wore the legionairy themselves, what would be on mules or even carts?)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi,

very good idea, I think it would be useful to synchronize all the material (both reenactement and source reconstructions) in a clear "temporal" printed layout.

For ex. coloured labels for different time periods, and tags for each argument treated.

A "vademecum" for aficionados of Ancient Warfare Big Grin
Quote:[*]don't know, but would a kind of re-enactors indispendable booklist (with a few comments) be something? As you go for a 're-enactment guide, it probably would. I see the RAT indispensable booklist getting overlooked some times and has few comments about what you could find in which book. Would be a nice start for people to do their research.

[*]marching camp layouts + defensive constructions

[*]Roman postal services. How fast would an order from from Rome arrive on Hadrians wall (or whatever place far away) and how was this accomplished

[*]the armies supplies. How would the marching column have looked like. (what wore the legionairy themselves, what would be on mules or even carts?)

If there are some techonology and experimental historians and archeologists between us, I think it should be possible.
Roman shield Time line article from the Early republic - fall of the Empire
with drawings and graphic charts in date order and approximate dates of use including shield bosses and auxillia shields
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
A how-to guide of what works in the field. This should be done by academics as well as re-enactors with cross referencing with applicable modern military echelons. I would like to SEE archeologists and Re-enactors share data at least on a small scale for testing of theories and historical accuracy.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Its a nice idea, i am sure, since many readers do have a lot of questions, but would you also consider a Poster issue of AW ?

a 72 page issue with all artwork ever been done for AW which the readers can take out and frame.... ?

Wink

M.VIB.M.

(ps: Personally i would like to see much more archaeological information and artefacts printed in the AW magazine if possible )
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:would you also consider a Poster issue of AW ?

a 72 page issue with all artwork ever been done for AW which the readers can take out and frame....
That depends: would you pay the, say, 50 euro price tag on such an issue? Seriously though, printing an issue on poster-quality paper (not to mention the cost of the artwork...) would get very expensive. Then again, we have posters!

Quote:Roman shield Time line article from the Early republic - fall of the Empire
with drawings and graphic charts in date order and approximate dates of use including shield bosses and auxillia shields
On the first, we've had two or three article by Christian Koepfer, the second sounds like a PhD research topic!

Current thinking (and the decision will come really soon) is that the 2010 Special will be "The Imperial Roman centuria - Men, materials and method." (or somesuch...)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I like the sound of that...

Legion: TBD
Personally, I'd like to see LESS Romans :twisted: - MORE Greeks 8) . However, I'm all for specials in whatever form they take, and if we're going to have all these Roman type things - can we have other periods/nations too? Greater examination of the Carthaginians would be nice for example.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Hi Howard,
A Special on the Carthaginians? That'd be cool, but I'd better find some 70 good quality, varied photos somewhere... Suggestions?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Hi Howard,
A Special on the Carthaginians? That'd be cool, but I'd better find some 70 good quality, varied photos somewhere... Suggestions?

I hear Thomas Cook are going to be starting a Time Travel service soon Jasper - taking you back to the historic epoch of your choice. Get your Boots disposable cameras ready!

Actually, I have just ordered a book called Hannibal's Army by I.P. Stephenson ([size=85:1nsztssh]The history press Ltd (2008)[/size]) which purports to take a more in-depth look at Carthaginian forces than many books previously have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/imag ... 105&sr=1-1
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:Personally, I'd like to see LESS Romans :twisted: - MORE Greeks 8) .

Quietly Howard, quietly: we are, after all, amongst Romans here. You know what those who resisted suffered....

I agree though!!
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient-Warfare.com redesigned! Praefectusclassis 5 4,774 01-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Ancient Warfare: Barcids at War Praefectusclassis 0 2,047 07-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  RAT - Ancient Warfare raffle Praefectusclassis 9 4,888 05-07-2009, 06:38 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis