Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celtic Scabbard for Hod Hill Reproduction Spatha
Hi All....can anyone tell me what a 1st C AD Celtic scabbard would look like to use with the repro Hod Hill spatha.....let's say the period 43ad-65ad

Also, does anyone have a contact person that might make such a scabbard? Thanks, Antoninus
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Roman Soldier Impressions are focused on 1st Through 4th Century AD
In terms of period, status and style I suppose it's probably going to be a two part bronze one like the Cotterdale, Mortonhall, Asby Scar or Embelton, with engraved decoration front and back and the suspension loop mounted on the back plate. Not something I've got any experience of (the only Iron Age one I've made is the wooden Stanwick scabbard). You might want to talk to Caballo and/or Suhel from Al Hamdd.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Here is the design that I shared with Suhel of Al Hamdd, with the design taken from Stead's British Iron Age Swords and Scabbards, and was the scabbard found at Isleham, Cambridgeshire, now in the British Museum http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/hig...bbard.aspx

[Image: hodhillceltic.jpg]

[Image: sword_scabbard.aspx]

Suhel, could you update us on progress?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
The Isleham's too early for the Hod Hill sword isn't it? About 100-150 years to early.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Hi,

Just to inform that we are working on it and within 10 days time you will have first pictures of this scabbard. Made in brass and etched as per drawings.

Regards,
Suhel
Medics Matt wrote "The Isleham's too early for the Hod Hill sword isn't it? About 100-150 years to early."

Hmm...the British Museum does seems to think so. I don't know what they base this quite specific dating on.

I based the link on Stead (British Iron Age Swords and Scabbards, 2006, British Museum (!) )who does not mention a date in the detailed notes on the Isleham scabbard. Dating these swords and scabbards seems to be a tough call...

Going back to the archaeology and Stead, which I confess I do find fairly complex.

It is classed as a Group D item, where the swords" first appear towards the end of the second century BC and were in use for almost two centuries."

Stead sub-classifies the Isleham scabbard as an Sb " a British development, though there is at least one related piece on the Continent." The only finds associated with a type Sb scabbard are at Kelvedon where urns date them to mid or second half of 1st century BC- otherwise dating is unclear and difficult due to the number of river finds. The Isleham sword and scabbard was found in the course of harrowing , probably re deposited from a ditch, which may be from a river deposit from the River Lark. No other context or associated finds.

Stylistically, there are parallels with the Hod Hill sword decoration.

All in all, the scabbard would be at the end of its time span, if linked to the Hod Hill sword, though the chronology does appear to be very difficult to establish.

So there may be better scabbards for the Hod Hill sword as a Celtic sword as opposed to a Roman auxiliary sword. But I think a case can be made?

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Hello to all,

Here are some images of Celtic Scabbard for Hod hill sword. It is our first attempt. If any body wish to have any changes in it please let me know.

Regards,
Suhel

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The front of that scabbard does look good. It does look fat though....I'm guessing it was made (incorrectly) with a wooden core?

What does the back side look like? The suspension loop and the construction of the original was just as interesting on the backside as what you've shown on the front.

Personally I would have chosen to go with something like the Stanwick scabbard for the Hod Hill sword. Not as flashy at first, but a much better match in regards to style and period.
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp
Quote:Hello to all,

Here are some images of Celtic Scabbard for Hod hill sword. It is our first attempt. If any body wish to have any changes in it please let me know.

Regards,
Suhel

Hi

With a Hod Hill sword in the planning stages I'm certainly becoming more interested in a scabbard and would be interested in pictures of the back too if possible.

As for context, I'm looking at the iconography of contemporary cavalry rather than a sword from Britain (sorry...just can't bring myself to say "Celtic"!!).

There is also the vexed question of how the scabbard would be attached to a baldric. Is there a suggestion of a back plate on the Isleham scabbard?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Yes, there is a back plate- Suhel has the design and I'm sure they are working on it.

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things