Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes
Quote:I'm designing a Roman Fort for historical reenactmentment proposes; it’s a huge investigation work, and I want to make no historical mistakes.
That sounds like a wonderful project, David. I would recommend selecting one particular site, rather than trying to invent a "standard" fort. (There was no such thing as a standard fort!)

Quote:I couldn’t find any good bibliography about roman forts, their dimensions (roads, buildings, windows, dors, etc etc.), nor the materials or techniques that were used.
You really need a good, comprehensive excavation report to work from.

The majority of Roman forts are only known from selective excavation across limited areas. But there are one or two that stand out for the "completeness" of the excavation, which maximises our knowledge of the internal layout. You should first decide whether you would like to reconstruct a turf and timber fort or a stone-built fort. You can then select a suitable candidate (and I would be happy to assist in this).

I am not aware of any Roman forts in Portugal (though I wouldn't be surprised if one pops up), but there are examples in Spain to add to the usual British and German examples.

For info: Roman Auxiliary Forts at Google Books
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes - by Siege - 11-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Re: Roman Fort for Reenactment Proposes - by D B Campbell - 11-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Re: Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes - by Ross Cowan - 02-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Re: Roman Fort for Reenactement Proposes - by Ross Cowan - 02-26-2010, 09:13 AM