Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being posted to Judae (Israel) some questions.
I was hoping I could pull some collective thoughts on the following questions:

What did Israel provide the Roman Empire with in terms of exports and such?

Was being posted to Judae in the BC (ie Pontius Pilates position) more of a punishment or a proving ground? Meaning, were people who werent that good but needed a job posted as over seer or ruler there? Or was it a place that good people were sent to prove their worth?

I appreciate your thoughts on this, Google is often rather unfruitful with these kind of searches Tongue
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

Quote:What did Israel provide the Roman Empire with in terms of exports and such?
Olive oil was among the exported articles; date oil probably too. Incense was traded through Caesarea.
Quote:Was being posted to Judae in the BC (ie Pontius Pilates position) more of a punishment or a proving ground? Meaning, were people who werent that good but needed a job posted as over seer or ruler there? Or was it a place that good people were sent to prove their worth?
Some of the governors were well-respected men, like Julius Alexander, who went on to have a dazzling career, and became prefect of Egypt. For him, Judaea was a normal career move. Pilate kept the job for ten years; Tiberius obviously thought he did a good job over there, and I think that the story about his dismissal stands up to fair criticism.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thank you VERY much! Big Grin
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

Quote:Thank you VERY much! Big Grin
You're welcome.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website