Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book ON Tacitus
Am reading an Italian translation of a book<br>
"Tacite" by Pierre Grimal, Libraire Arthème Fayard, 1990<br>
I would be surprised if an English translation of this excellent book doesn't exist. Will check Amazon later.<br>
<br>
The author does a critical analysis of the evolution of the style of Tacitus and his historical program and evaluates the episodes Tacitus describes and "interprets", comparing them, when possible, with documents of other authors. It is a serious book but very readable. Parts are indeed technical and with detail but Grimal succeeds in keeping my attention and I am really enjoying it. When I was glancing thru the book at the store I decided to buy it because it did seemed like a good book to have in my growing library, but, I confess, I didn't expect to find it so fun to read. You will enjoy the remarkably vivid first chapter - "The empire at the birth of Tacitus". I really liked the chapter on Germany ("A land of free men") and the chapter on the war between Vitellius and Otho and then Vespesian. <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
I'll have to see if I can get an English version of that book. I have Tacitus' <i> Germans</i> and his <i> Agricola</i>, and I love them both.<br>
<br>
It's fascinating to see "foreign lands" through his ancient eyes.<br>
<br>
Thanks, G. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>