Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Jordan, physicist , 1086–1036.
Apparently, the Fahrenheit temperature scale was named after the physicist Michael Jordan who lived during the 11th century BC (1086–1036).

Talk about a hijacked Wikipedia page! Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
I would love to change it, but the saboteur has made a good job of it - the edit page displays the correct version, which somehow is not shown properly...

That teaches us to never trust a Wiki page entirely. 8)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yeah, a common problem with Wikipedia. I once had one of the school PC blocked by Wikipedia, because I was 'hijacking' a topic. Actually, we tried to correct the hijackers errors several times. Anyway, I don't see that error on there.
ALA I BATAVORUM
"Fahrenheit is the temperature scale proposed in 1724 by, and named after, the physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686–1736). Today, the scale has been replaced by the Celsius scale in most countries; it is still in use for non-scientific purposes in the United States and a few other nations, such as Belize"

Where is the reference to the 'really' old fart who supposedly came up with it? :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes, I think the US is about the only country that still uses the "English" system of measurement. Like any system, it works fairly well until one tries to convert it to some other system. Then the arbitrary measures become confusing.

...But we seem to be inching toward the metric system.... :wink:

Hmmm. I thought Michael Jordan was a former basketball star? Oh, well, shows what I know. He's pretty spry and well preserved for his age, then, I guess.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Last I read it was the US and some tiny country in micronesia or some such place that still officially uses the archaic Imperial system- geez, that if anything I'd have thought would motivate the US to move into the 20th century :wink: LOL But I do see evidence of the inching too (ironic term there)- soda comes in 2L bottles, not 2 pint bottles, and often enough I hear people mentioning 'millimeters' and other Metric measurements here and there on various TV shows (Dirty Jobs, for example). It's almost like an underground movement. The really funny thing is that I heard a little while back that the UK I think it was announced finally converting fully- and it only having taken 20 years, and of course here in Canada we still use Imperial for building materials for some gods-only-know reason, despite having adopted metric in the mid-1970s...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Yeah, a common problem with Wikipedia. I once had one of the school PC blocked by Wikipedia, because I was 'hijacking' a topic. Actually, we tried to correct the hijackers errors several times. Anyway, I don't see that error on there.
We had the whole school blocked. Tongue lol:
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:
jvrjenivs:kukerp0t Wrote:Yeah, a common problem with Wikipedia. I once had one of the school PC blocked by Wikipedia, because I was 'hijacking' a topic. Actually, we tried to correct the hijackers errors several times. Anyway, I don't see that error on there.
We had the whole school blocked. Tongue lol:

Hmmmm, thats not what I heard..... :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel