Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaulish Language - Anyone here speak Latin?
From my knowledge of Latin, what you have written is basically correct about Latin grammar, except there were many sentences that were compound (clean and polish your armor) and complex (first clean and polish your armor, then oil it so you can safely put it in storage). The verbs (except the "BE" irregular, sometimes) usually do come at the end of a sentence. What makes it more specific than, say, English, is that we don't have verb and noun endings that can change a word's meaning in the same way they did, so "let us bless the food" can simply be "cibos benedicamus".

I don't think you'll find a lot of Gaulish words simply for the reason (as you already know) that they didn't write down things in day to day life, and didn't write their history at all, lest as Caesar reports: "their memories would rust" by not memorizing the stories of the past. In Britain, some forms of "Celtic" languages survive as Gaelic and Welsh, though there's gallons of ink been used over the "whether" arguments that surround and attack that statement. I wonder if Irish and Scot Gaelic are not somehow related to what could have been called "Gaulic" in former days. Do the general Latin grammar rules apply in Gaelic? Hard to know, as I'm not a linguist, but even Scot and Irish Gaelic differ somewhat to my ear, so I genuinely have no idea. :?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Gaulish Language - Anyone here speak Latin? - by M. Demetrius - 11-22-2009, 01:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latin language in Byzantium. 7-th-10-th centuries eugene 6 2,519 11-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great
  Latin language question. Folkert van Wijk 2 1,003 07-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk