Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raphanaea
The subject of this site (one of the major legionary bases in Syria) crops up occasionally on RAT and I thought it might be of interest to point out the DAI's web page on the subject (it's in German, so here its is via Google Translate, rendered into something almost, but not quite, completely unlike English). Strangely, the site is repeatedly called 'Raphaneae' and this little tic becomes annoying after a while (Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography clearly opts for Raphanaea, but then it also says it is a maritime city which it most definitely ain't!). The DAI also have a Google Earth file you can download showing all their projects worldwide (busy people!) and it includes their location for Raphanaea/eae... which doesn't match any of the others I've seen but is pretty close to where I had decided it was/is, with the aid of a dodgy Soviet-era map (never yet managed to get there during any of my trips to Syria, alas).

There is a bibliography of stuff but most of it is 'in press', although it should prove interesting when it finally materialises.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there