Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where did they keep the mules in garrison?
John

That looks more like the blade portion of an entrenching tool with it's point missing, it cannot be a shovel as the hole at the top is at 90 degrees to what it should be for any shovel.
Brian Stobbs
That's what I was thinking too, Brian, but they used them in digging, just like a modern mattock (or as we call them in Texas, a "grubbing hoe". I've seen pictures of an artifact of this sort that had a pick point on the one end, and the hoe part on the other.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
mcbishop:xy4o42se Wrote:I'm not sure we have any shovels from the Roman period.
I must be mistranslating Schaufelhacke. :oops: Apologies.
Here's a Schaufelhacke from Harzhorn.
[Image: Schaufelhacke-fc40c3c5.jpg]
And another from Hedemünden.
[Image: pionierschaufel.jpg]
I assumed they were "shovels" (broadly speaking). So what exactly are they for?!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:I'm not sure we have any shovels from the Roman period. There are certainly spade sheaths in a similar sort of abundance to dolabrae but all archaeologists will tell you the profound difference between shovels and spades (incidentally I never dig with a shovel as I can throw further with a spade).

I'm not that good at those terminology. So, I don't know if this example is either a spade or a shovel (or something else), but I supposted it was interesting to post the thing. Original is from the Kops Plateau, Nijmegen. Middle first cenury AD, unpublished. (I'm talking about the tool left bottom; all others are from the same site however)

[Image: gereedschap.jpg]

I have the drawing of the original somewhere, should it be interested to anyone.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen.
The one at bottom left looks everything more of a shovel than a spade with that sort of curve in the tube where it fits the wood shank a very interesting find indeed.
Brian Stobbs
If it helps any, what I was told is that a shovel is for scooping out loose material, a spade is for cutting the material out of the hole, or starting a hole, and a mattock (which is a heavy version of a hoe) is for general digging breaking up dirt/clay. An entrenching tool is for digging a trench, but can work as either a spade or shovel. I suppose those definitions are different in different place.

And then there are turf cutters which are used to cut a section of turf out so it can be laid on top of the dirt that's being dug.

I guess everybody knew that, but just in case-- :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I guess everybody knew that, but just in case-- :wink:
Big Grin But what's a Schaufelhacke?! Is that what our German friends call an "entrenching tool"? (I thought it just meant "shovel".)
Quote:
M. Demetrius:1zgkieup Wrote:I guess everybody knew that, but just in case-- :wink:
Big Grin But what's a Schaufelhacke?! Is that what our German friends call an "entrenching tool"? (I thought it just meant "shovel".)

It is indeed what we'd (English or German) tend to call an entrenching tool. Corbridge Museum has a 1914-18 WD issue example (complete with arrow mark) for comparison with a genuine Roman one from the site and they are virtually indistinguishable.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =679432131

Here is an entrenching tool from Athens, of Roman provenance I believe.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That's a fine specimen, Byron. Looks almost new!
Must be that great weather in the medeteranean! Smile
Yes it is in excellent condition.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
mcbishop:5xkgqmvf Wrote:I'm not sure we have any shovels from the Roman period. There are certainly spade sheaths in a similar sort of abundance to dolabrae but all archaeologists will tell you the profound difference between shovels and spades (incidentally I never dig with a shovel as I can throw further with a spade).

I'm not that good at those terminology. So, I don't know if this example is either a spade or a shovel (or something else), but I supposted it was interesting to post the thing. Original is from the Kops Plateau, Nijmegen. Middle first cenury AD, unpublished. (I'm talking about the tool left bottom; all others are from the same site however)

[Image: gereedschap.jpg]

I have the drawing of the original somewhere, should it be interested to anyone.

I saw some of the ones in the lower left photo in use on National Geographic last night in the mountains of Columbia. They also had small pack mules. Probably both descended from
the Legions and brought over by the Spanish in the 1500's
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
The two on the top, are the "blades" riveted on, or forged from one piece?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:The two on the top, are the "blades" riveted on, or forged from one piece?

In reallity we had to make these in a hurry, so unfortunately these are brazed on. Orignals were forged from one piece.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Question, is there any consensus about how many animals single legion had?

I have read something about one mule per tent octet and wagon per century. So that is already quite a few hundreds..and obviously artillery etc. would need even more wagons.
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mules in the Roman Army jkaler48 18 5,607 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Carvettia