Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal spinning sources for Coolus helmets
I was wondering if anybody is working with or recommends any U.S. based metal spinning firms who might already be set up to spin 16g 8.5" blanks for Coolus helmets...

Thanks in advance Smile

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
I'm not wanting to shoot anything down but I do have to say that anywhere if firms are asked to do a specific type or size of spun bowl, the normal reply is always about having to tool up for the job and then there is the quantity that you might want to acquire.
It normaly works out that the firm or an individual who does this kind of work will want orders in the region of hundreds to make the whole venture cost effective, to kit out a legion yes that's ok but then just to get them to supply only 5 or 10 becomes a difficult situation.
There is the other thing about Coolus bowls where I consider that a vast majority of these type were simply hammered out, and in a lot of cases not as one would think over a stake system but just beaten straight down into a former.
Brian Stobbs
Hmm, yes that's what I thought also, which is why I thought I'd ask here first -- in case somebody knows of an outfit that already has the chuck on hand. I have a wood lathe which could be converted over but haven't wanted to 'tool up' either, not to mention I would expect to go through a lot of expensive brass before I gain the skills.

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
Although it is European based, this company does a great job with suppliing a helmet blank. If you search on RAT you can somewhere see a Coolus that Cezar made from one of those. Here is their site: scroll down for the helmets: [url:322xt1w8]http://www.rudis-kuenstlerwerkstatt.de/gallerie-helme.htm[/url]

I also think to remember there was a text on this on the website of Matt Amt, where he in fact note the company that did this kind of job for them, and stored the mould for some time. Maybe you should start looking there.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen

I've been looking at the link you show for Coolus helmets and they are all listed as being bronze would this imply that they are indeed cast items I wonder, for looking at some of them they appear to be very well finished off with their neck guards.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Jurjen

I've been looking at the link you show for Coolus helmets and they are all listed as being bronze would this imply that they are indeed cast items I wonder, for looking at some of them they appear to be very well finished off with their neck guards.

These are all handforged. They supply some diffent basic shaped bowls in finished form, but you can also get a sheet with just a basic bowl beaten out of it, which you can make a coolus type helmet out of. Like this:
[Image: helm-quer.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
That does make good sense Jurjen for there are the various types of neck guard sizes I like that.
Brian Stobbs
The bowls of the the Rudis firm are very well made. Indeed fully hand forged. I have received two from them (a jockeycap for myself and a montefortino for a friend). Both were very well done.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:The bowls of the the Rudis firm are very well made. Indeed fully hand forged. I have received two from them (a jockeycap for myself and a montefortino for a friend). Both were very well done.

That's completely true. And I also think the prices are very reasonable. I would highly recommend their products.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Avete!

Here's our Spun Helmet page:

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/spunhlm.html

I don't know if our spinner (Maryland Metal Spinning) is even in business any more. The owner just happened to have a "ball" form the right size, so we were able to avoid a tooling cost of about $365 dollars, as I recall. We got 20 domes for $65 each, including materials. BUT he was not able to do them with a flat rim--in fact he said he didn't think it could be done! I didn't argue, since obviously the *Romans* managed it, but it meant that we had to weld on our own neckguards, then laboriously grind and file the welds to make them as invisible as possible. So those Rudis helmet blanks look REALLY attractive to me, were I considering making more helmets like that.

Oh, our spun domes are actually a hemisphere with a 2" straight section, so they are 6-1/4" deep rather than 4-1/4".

Our spun helmet project basically came to a halt when Deepeeka came on the scene! The last few never got finished. Last year I made one of the domes into this Villanovan helmet:

http://www.larp.com/hoplite/AG55a.jpg

Bronze would have been better, but the dome was available, and that helmet was calling to me! Worked out nicely.

Have fun!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Matt.
That's a nice looking Villanovan and it looks like there was a lot of work went into that crest,
Brian Stobbs
Thanks everyone!

Matthew - I'll try giving those guys a call on Monday, and I'll post here what I find out... given the time span who knows what I'll find Smile

I had considered the German supplier but was not leaning that way due to cost/shipping/etc... I may end up going with welded halves if spinning turns out to be impractical.

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metal Spinning Imperial Gallic Helmet nightwork 0 1,384 08-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Last Post: nightwork
  Need Pictures of Accurate Brass Coolus Helmets Pointer 2 1,061 11-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Phalerae-discs in metal spinning technology Rado 56 10,822 11-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Rado