Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Vexillum
Quote:Sculptural evidence seems to indicate that the fringe "threads" are much thicker than the warp that the pteruges are woven from, but it is hard to know how much is artistic, and how much is accurately dimensionally portrayed. Also, it seems like there's not an easy way to get different colored fringe if the fringe is not sewn on. Just a couple of thoughts.

Agreed. The way Matt Amt told me to do it appears pretty solid. Rutilia...I may make a quick video tutorial, since posting pics and explaining will take too long.

Legion: TBD
No worries, Magnus. Whenever you have time and inclination. Smile

There's the method of threading fringing bits of yarn through the hem with a needle. I've done that for some things like ponchos and a wrap or two, if that's anything like what you're referring to.

Rutilia
If you have peace in your land,
You will have health in your hand.

mka Siani Overstreet
Yeah, I think that is it. So when you pull the needle through, you can feed the two free ends through the looped end of the yarn...is that it?

Legion: TBD
That's the one I've used for ponchos and wraps, yes. Pretty simple all in all and depending on thickness of the yarn, can be very full or not.

Rutilia

mka Siani Overstreet
Quote:Sculptural evidence seems to indicate that the fringe "threads" are much thicker than the warp that the pteruges are woven from, but it is hard to know how much is artistic, and how much is accurately dimensionally portrayed. Also, it seems like there's not an easy way to get different colored fringe if the fringe is not sewn on. Just a couple of thoughts.
Errr, well yes, Of course one has the possibility to knot or braid several of the warps together, right? Evidence is ample from the northern bogs. And of course you CAN add a different colour: That would be a change in colour for the weft...

Anyway: Why does anyone think the fringe must be of a different colour? Big Grin
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I don't think it has to be a different color. I just like the contrast; I think it looks better, but of course that's me. The warp fringe method is common enough although the weft, running at right angles, wouldn't make fringe along the bottom unless one wove the piece sideways, which was done with some tunics I believe. Doable in that manner I think.

I'll experiment though, since my curiosity is aroused. I'm nearly to the point where I'm looking at dying my own wool, spinning my own yarn, and weaving the piece myself. Confusedhock: I really need to reign in my enthusiasm. :lol:

Rutilia

mka Siani Overstreet
Quote:Of course one has the possibility to knot or braid several of the warps together, right?
Certainly, and that's done even today in blankets, etc., and seems to be the way that a sagum fringe or Celt/Germanic tunic fringe would have been done.

I can't remember right now where I saw it, but there was a picture of a vexillium somewhere on RAT, from Egypt, I'm pretty sure, that showed golden yellow fringe on a red background "flag". I think Victoria was painted on it, but after looking through about 800 search results using "standard", "vexillium", "banner", etc., I came to the conclusion that the picture was not named in the title of the thread. Sigh. Anybody?

This is the closest I got, and the fringe color is not clear. <!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25924&p=253861&hilit=standard#p231336">viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25924&p=253861&hilit=standard#p231336<!-- l Note the fresco link from this thread.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
[url:2y7h7giy]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=72472#p72472[/url]
but IIRC the yellow is painted on.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.